Installing Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Jul 3, 2008
MA
hi All,

I have finally (9 months after I started) finished the plumbing, wiring, storage tank, etc for my Excel 2000. The last thing I need to do is connect it to the chimney and have the oil burner hooked up.

I was planning on having my oil company hookup both but those plans have fallen through and I will need to install the stove pipe to the chimney myself.

Here's where my questions come in.. The current stove pipe from the existing oil boiler (being removed) is cemented to the chimney and I will need to remove it. The current pipe is also larger (8") than the pipe for the Excel 6". How should I attach the new pipe to the chimney, cement it again? I'm not sure if the existing stuff is furnace cement or just plain cement.

Any advice on the stove pipe installation would be appreciated.

thanks

I doubt what is currently there is "plain" cement. I don't think that would have help up very well. I used RTV sealant on my pipe connections in addition to three or four sheet metal screws per connection. Makes for a very solid setup. The RTV sealant is simply high temp caulk and can be found online at grainger.com if you can't find it from your local hardware store.

Also - they make reducers to go from 8" to 6". I did the exact opposite from what you're doing. I have an 8" outlet on my boiler and a 6" chimney...works fine.

thanks Stee

So with your setup you just hooked the stove pipe using the reducer to the chimney? You didn't need to do any alterations to the chimney?

I guess that would probably work for me as well, it certainly would be less work trying to get the old stove pipe off the chimney. As long as I have enough horizontal clearance I think I will probably do that. Thanks for the idea.

Also, as a tip....... RTV Sealant can be gotten at any auto parts store in small tubes..... It's used commonly as a gasket material....

Status
Not open for further replies.