Installing the optional P52i Air Adapter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Even though this fresh air adapter is optional, IHMO it should be mandatory not only the Harman P52i but any fireplace insert, to save pellets and heat and stop uncomfortable drafts created by drawing room air in from the cracks in the house to the burn pot! Here is why?

With an additional 3" liner and chimney top, nice clean fresh air can be drawn into the burn pot using the Harman P52i Air adapter. When this is installed, Roxul (100% Fire Proof Insulation) can be placed on the damper shelf and around the liners to keep warm heated air in the room from escaping up the chimney! ! !

The Roxul R23 insulation on the damper shelf and around the liner is like shutting a big window in the roof that sucks all the heat out in the winter like an air vacuum!

The house will now be warmer even when the stove is Off!

This stove is very big and quite heavy, has anyone carried it up stairs?
Shipping weight is 475 lbs!

Steps
0. Remove stove from frame if old or in our case remove shipping bolt and seperate frome from stove.
1. Remove original Air Intake flange
2. Screw in top and right side self tapping bolts to hold hew air adapter where orig flange was mounted
3. Must create new hole with self tapper on left side
This is not easy since room blower is in the way.
I found two choices here
a. Remove room blower to get self tapper straight on and screw in.
or
b. Drilll pilot hole on angle, the get sel tapper in
4. Drill two new holes to mount top of air adapter with self tapppers. this was staight forward.
5. Mount 3" flange to P53i Frame for flex liner connection using white lytherm gasket supplied.
6. run liner down chimney. (We tied 4" and 3 " liners together and did both at same time!)
Use separate chimney top and make fresh air lower than flue exhaust chimney cap
Screw fresh air liner to air adapter flange using self tappers. I sealed with silicone, but not neccessary.
7. Add Roxul 100% Fire proof insulation to damper shelf and cut around flex liners to save room heat!
8. Slide stove back in frame

It is a little more work when doing the initial install but well worth it!

Also a good update to save more pellets and stop drafting dirty chimney air amd/or warm room air into the burn pot!

See pics - click to Enlarge:

Pic 1 - Remove Old OEM flange
Pic 2 - Using self tapper supplied, Cutting a new hole with room blower in the way!
Pic 3 - New Rigid Air Adapter
Pic 4 - Mounted Air Adapter 1
Pic 5 - Mounted Air Adapter 2
Pic 6 - 3" Fresh Air Falnge (Note flange can be rotated if liner comes down at angle!
Pic 7 - 3" Liner coming down to P52i Frame for fresh air for burning!

Attachments

• 1-RemoveOEMair Flange.JPG
    1-RemoveOEMair Flange.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 428
  • 2-NewRigidAirAdapter.JPG
    2-NewRigidAirAdapter.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 413
  • 3-CuttingAnewHole.JPG
    3-CuttingAnewHole.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 399
  • 4-MountedAirAdapter1.JPG
    4-MountedAirAdapter1.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 376
  • 5-MountedAirAdapter2.JPG
    5-MountedAirAdapter2.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 398
  • 6-3inchFreshAirFlange.JPG
    6-3inchFreshAirFlange.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 7-3inchLiner.JPG
    7-3inchLiner.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Hello

Note how you can angle the Air Flange and the Flue Flange just by loosening the 4 bolts and turning the collar! Just in case you cannot bend the flex liner so it goes straight up. :)
In our case we made the flex liner go straight up, but still it may be needed for some chimney installations. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.