Installing Wood Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darling

Oct 21, 2008
Illinois
I am looking to install a Century Heating wood stove insert into our existing Majestic Thulman firebox. From what we have been told this is okay to do - but we just would like some more information.

Does anyone out there know if this is okay?

Somebody will be along shortly to advise. I just wanted to take the only opportunity I will ever have to say "Hello darling." without getting sued.

LOL...too funny.

what model century insert?

Model CW2500X

We have been told that as long as we leave the existing Majestic firebox in tact - we can just slide the new stove inside of it and hook up the venting (maybe with a new flexible liner).

"INSTALL ANO USE ONLY IN MASORY FIREPLACES" direct quote from manual and my personal experience with that insert was an unpleasant one. look up thread on dutchwest dw2500 which is the same insert. edit: the one titled trouble!!!

We were originally going to purchase a similar model from a fireplace store and have them install it - however, we decided it would be cheaper to do it ourselves. We questioned that very same thing at the fireplace store and that's when they told us that it would be fine as long as we did not remove the original firebox and just set our new one in.

Also, if you look further into the manual, it states that this fireplace insert must be connected to masonry chimney or a factory-built fireplace chimney (which is what we have).

That is why we are trying to determine what is correct - because we are getting different answers depending on who we talk to.

Just don't want the house to burn down.

wxman said:
"INSTALL ANO USE ONLY IN MASONRY FIREPLACES" direct quote from manual and my personal experience with that insert was an unpleasant one. look up thread on dutchwest dw2500 which is the same insert. edit: the one titled trouble!!!

This is part of the reason why I never bought that model insert. I looked at it, and read the statement about Masonry fireplaces, and read reviews here. I hate to say it, but if something bad happened, who's fault will it be? Not to mention your losses.

I personally would seek out another insert. One that states it is "approved for factory built FIREPLACE" . I believe you stated yours is approved for a factory built chimney (whatever that statement in your manual means).

I would go back to your dealer and ask for something in writing or return it. See what he/she does. There are lots of models to choose from that are approved for zero clearance fireplaces. Just need to make sure they fit, flu lines up, and it fit your needs. KD

I second that, a prefb fireplace and chimney are different animals in my book. Keep looking for an insert that is approved for zero clearance fireplaces.

Just an FYI - I went to Majestic and they told me that our model fireplace does not allow ANY type of insert to be placed into it. So we cannot do what we planned on doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.