Insulated liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwatherton

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
NW South Carolina
Hi all,

This forum is really great for a new guy like me about to buy his first stove. I've learned a lot from hours reading the posts, but I don't find the answer to this particular question...I will be installing a free standing stove in the interior 15' masonary chimney of my 1965 house. Planning on putting a 6" insulated liner into an 8"x17" tile flue through a 6"x28" damper opening that I have already removed the rusted out damper plate, hinge, and handle bracket. Also planning on putting in a block off plate as so many recommend.

So...I'm curious about the terminating ends of the insulation. At the top, I understand the insulation should go right up to the weather cap, but at the bottom end, where should the insulation end? At the top of the block off plate, or pass through that plate and get down around the flex connection fitting to the stove? I read posts about caulking/fire cementing around the liner/block off plate junction, but never have seen any real detail about this point. Seems like you couldn't get a seal there if insulation was around the liner coming through the block off plate. Thanks...

I've never ran an insert, but I don't see why the insulation would need to pass by the block off plate. The whole point of the insulation is to keep the flue gas warmer. Under the block off plate you should have more than enough heat to keep it warm. In addition to insulation the liner you may want to add additional insulation on top of the plate.

Matt

I just insulated down to the stove. Included in the insulation kit was a really big clamp to hold things in place. Comming out of the stove, I used an "appliance connector" that connects to the flex pipe. No sealant necessary. Why? When in use the hot air rising up & out will want to suck air into the chimney. No smoke will be able to escape unless you had some really gaping holes and poor draft. The compression fit from the screws seems to work fine.

Considering both the insulation & block off plate are optional, I again didn't try to make a perfect seal. The point is just to try and keep as much heat in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.