Insulated roofing possibilities for residential roof replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Going to need a new roof on our 1800 sf 50's ranch in North central NJ. I'm thinking of insulated metal roofing, but have no experience in this technology. Currently is an asphalt shingle roof. I'll need to be able to walk on the roof too.
Any experiences?

Just curious. Why the need for insulation?

Roofs reach temperature of 150 deg in the summer. That heat radiates down through the attic into the house. I would like to reduce the attic temperature to at least ambient.

Reactions: begreen and semipro
Usually, attics are ventilated so the heat doesnt make it to the interior space. A lot of homes do not have adequate attic ventilation. There was a federal incentive at some point for light colored metal roofing to reflect the heat.

Going to need a new roof on our 1800 sf 50's ranch in North central NJ. I'm thinking of insulated metal roofing, but have no experience in this technology. Currently is an asphalt shingle roof. I'll need to be able to walk on the roof too.
Any experiences?
If your attic is ventilated the insulation only helps in the summer. I have no idea what extra costs are vs a regular metal roof. But I’m just guessing that unless you get an insurance break on the metal roof. The cost savings just isn’t there vs a regular architectural asphalt. Put the cost difference towards other energy improvements?

Now if you have a conditioned attic that’s a different situation. I’m still not sold on how they are dealing with condensation in the conditioned attics.

I’m on my roof too often to consider a slippery metal one.