Insulated stovepipe for tent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ultrafrozen

Jan 3, 2018
Northeastern Ontario
First-off, I've been lurking on this site for a bit and finally decided to sign up, glad to be here.

I know this is a little bit out of the normal woodstove realm but I thought I'd give it a try here, please bare with me.

Does insulated space work better than a vented space as a thermal barrier?

I'm running a 4" stovepipe through a 36" long insulated sleeve (6" inside an 8" black stovepipe) to exit a zippered door in a polyester tent fly and I'm looking for advice. The sleeve is capped at both ends with a 4" hole cut in each cap to allow the stovepipe through. I have mineral wool insulation in between the 8" and 6" stovepipes. I've wrapped the outside of the 8" sleeve with welding blanket so the tent material doesn't touch the pipe. This works to keep temps at the blanket down to 300F during a really hot dull red burn on the small sheepherder's stove.

Should I keep the existing set-up or remove the insulation and vent out the gaps between all the pipes by removing the caps? I know I'd lose heat up the gaps which I can live with if it would prevent the outer 8" pipe from getting too hot. Any advice and all opinions welcome.

Insulated stovepipe for tent

Last edited: