Insulating back of Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PelletPirate

Oct 11, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi Everyone,
I typically find my stove is cold on the tile in front and behind the stove when I pull out my insert. I was wondering if anyone has insulated the back of the stove against the old fireplace walls to keep the cold out/warmth in the house? If so, what did you use?
Thanks!

I don't have an insert, but Rockwool comes to mind. It can get really hot without lighting off. I wonder if its worth doing.

I installed a block off plate to my flue with rockwool piled above it... I sealed the edges with high heat silicone .. prevents the stove from sucking down cool air from the flue. Still have the back wall but that’s not as much heat loss as the entire flue.

I used double 2in sections of sheet rockwool along the back and sides. ( order it on line as locals don't stock it - its fairly firm and holds up well - comes in 2 x 4 ' sheets and can even get foil backed). Also metal block off plate with 8 in insulation on top.
Exterior brick chimney with the rockwool on sides is not cold and draft free for the Harmon 52i
Picture is not the greatest. Snapped it on install 2017.

Attachments

• 20170820_140745238_iOS (2).jpg
    20170820_140745238_iOS (2).jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited: