Insulating the fire box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dane Snyder

Dec 8, 2021
Mobile, AL
I'm brand new here, and I'm pretty uninitiated to wood burning inserts. Mine was manufactured in Oct of 1994. It's an Energy King Bay 2000.
It was in the home 7 years ago when I bought it.
I am doing some cleaning/renovations to my living room, and so I took down the metal cover around the insert that overlaps the front of the fireplace brick and I saw that the only insulation was the small strips where the metal cover contacted the brick and top of the fire box.
There's about a 3" gap all around the box to the bricks of the side of the fireplace opening
Can I stuff fiverglass insulation, Kaowool, or something of that sort in there, or is that air gap required for the insert's operation?
I've read a lot of threads on this forum thus far and feel like I've "almost" found my answer. I'm just not confident that I have a solid enough of an answer.
Can I insulate between the insert firebox and the sides of the opening of my fireplace, and if so, whats the best material to use?

Is the insert connected to the chimney or does the insert have a full, stainless liner on it? Or is there nothing at all?

If it has a full liner and this is an exterior wall chimney, then installing an insulated block-off plate in the damper area will be most effective. Some roxul or kaowool could also be added in the back and sides if desired. If it doesn't have a full ss liner, that's the first priority.

Is the insert connected to the chimney or does the insert have a full, stainless liner on it? Or is there nothing at allIt

Is the insert connected to the chimney or does the insert have a full, stainless liner on it? Or is there nothing at all?
It sits in the old fireplace connected to a pipe going up the length of the chimney. I'm not sure what you mean by "full, stainless liner."

If the pipe is stainless steel, then it sounds like it has a full liner.

If the pipe is stainless steel, then it sounds like it has a full liner.
This is the gap I want to fill with insulation.

2A61B3B1-3BDE-4EA0-9141-88A75747810F.jpeg

I see. So there may be a closure in the bottom of the chimney that keeps the air from passing?
I know a LOT OF STUFF, but this ain't any of it.
There may be if the person who installed the liner cared enough to put one in. But many do not