Insulating the top of the Garn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Northern WI
I am about to set the rear header for the ceiling of the Garn on the outside wall, I want to have a 4’ wide access panel from the outside for inspection and service if necessary this will allow access to the supply/return as well as the air intake and the flue.

I have looked at photos of other installations and notice that on some the ceilings are higher than the manhole with a framed opening which I think is a good idea for additional insulation
Is there a point of no return on how thick to make this blanket? I do realize you have to be able to reach the manhole and anodes. In a house the heat loss is greatest near and at the ceiling.

Those that have already done this, do you now wish you had added more insulation above the unit?

Perhaps I am getting too anal on the insulation but I would like to cut my standby losses as much as possible.

pasted from other thread

I made the walls 7’-4’’ tall, anticipating filling the whole thing with loose insulation, figuring that would give me a good 12’‘plus of insulation over the top of the tank and yes I planned on a sheet metal collar around the manway. But I changed my mind, for the billionth time, and ended up going with two layers of 6” no-face fiberglass batts, which I still haven’t completely finished. But I did find that with batts, no collar is really needed. I just placed/semi-packed a couple of layers of cut pieces around the manway and they just kinda sit there in place.
I have made SOME progress beyond what the Flickr thing shows right now and do have pics. I’ll update that soon.

Thanks Rick. I am glad to hear the progress continues. I too have to add photos to my blog to update the progress. I have learned a lot by viewing other’s designs by viewing their photos and reading their postings. I too am going to go higher, I have to decide how much today before I set the header.

Status
Not open for further replies.