insulation behind the fireplace facing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickF

Oct 21, 2016
Colorado
Hello,

My question is what kind of insulation should/should not be behind the framing for the fireplace facing, i.e., above the fireplace and near/around the large ducts in the chimney (there are liners also inside the large ducts).

In a remodel of my house, I am refacing the fireplace, which gave me the chance to see behind the framing that holds of the facing.

I never knew what a fireplace looked like inside, but as my contractor finished some framing and wiring before the refacing, I noticed he was replacing insulation.

My concern is that some of the insulation is the kind that has paper facing on one side. Sounds like a bad idea to me to have near a fireplace. Any guidelines for whether/what kind/how much insulation to have in this cavity behind the fireplace facing and around the large ducts?

Rick

Typically you would use unfaced insulation inside the fireplace chase. Make sure there is also a draftstop installed at the ceiling height. Otherwise cold air will pour out around the fireplace! Got any pictures of it?

Typically you would use unfaced insulation inside the fireplace chase. Make sure there is also a draftstop installed at the ceiling height. Otherwise cold air will pour out around the fireplace! Got any pictures of it?

I do have photos - haven't gotten this system to work yet. Look like it works when I attach to a reply. I suspect I should remove the insulation with the backing on it. As you view the chase here, what should be insulated? What is a draftstop?
fireplace without insulation.jpg fireplace with insulation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The insulation bats should be supported so that they can't all out. Criss-crossing with string is one method. Covering with sheetrock is often suggested. There should be a firestop, (draft stop) at the ceiling level.
Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 10.47.46 AM.png

It's a sheet metal plate that surrounds the chimney and goes to the chase walls to create a block. Remember to maintain the 2 in. clearance to combustibles all the way up.
Schematic view of zc fip and chimneys chase.png

The entire fireplace chase needs a ceiling in it. It needs to be 3/4" plywood minimum, then the chimney will pass through a metal fire stop that will maintain 2" clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.