Insulation in Ceiling Support Box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fakie99

Dec 29, 2007
northern michigan
Hi - I just installed a chimney system for my freestanding woodstove. Used double wall from the stove to an adapter, then triple wall out of the roof. To support the triple wall chimney, I used a kit (forgot manufacturer) that used a sheet metal box (16"x16") to be fastened to the rafters, then the chimney sits in it. My question is - should I have put insulation in the chimney support box? Seems like a good place for heat to escape....

Diagram is attached - any thoughts are certainly appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

• STOVE.gif
    STOVE.gif
    37.5 KB · Views: 436
No insulation goes in the support box.

That support box is also the insulation keep away box. You'll notice it is wider than the chimney by about the same distance (2"+)as the required clearance to combustibles. You are not supposed to get anything between the box and the chimney and if something falls in there then you'll want to vacuum it out pronto. You can airseal this box to the ceiling/rafters. I did this just two days ago while air sealing my attic.

I have a 2-story chimney kit; the ceiling support is uninsulated and sits between the first and second floors. The attic insulation shield sits above the second floor to keep insulation from the pipe. However, part of the kit was $20 for insulation to wrap around the chimney inside the insulation shield. I was expecting it to be some special high-temp insulation - nope. Looks like regular unfaced fiberglass batt insulation. But since it's listed and the manual shows where to put it it I assume it's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.