Insulation In Thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 24, 2008
Sothern Maine
I am installing an Jotul Oslo with an out and up metalbestos chimney. My question is can I put rock wool in the thimble next to the metalbestos to prevent drafts?

I am told rock wool is the same as jusi/susi which is allowed per Selkirk. Two stove dealears have said no...

Personally I think those dealers are nuts. Rockwool doesn't even think about getting soft until around 2400 degrees. And it darn sure ain't gonna burn.

I have some inside the firebox of my stove. For two years now and it looks like the day I put it in there.

I spoke with tech support at Duravent with the same question and was told "No Way!" Apparently you need the air circulation through there to act as an insulator, by putting on any type of material you stop the air flow, and the material will eventually conduct heat to the outer sleeve, which can be a very dangerous situation. They did approve sealing the outside edge with clear silicone to prevent drafts/insects from coming in to the house. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

-Sheepdog

Well and good but Selkirk specifically says to put the "Jusi" insulation in their thimble to prevent outside air incursion.

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.