Insulation near a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
I have been insulating between the joists in my basement (essentially first floor insulation) with fiberglass batts (R-19 in most places). Can I use fiberglass under where the stove sits and touching the chimney? My hearthpad under the stove is R 3.1 (the manual requires 2.5).

Do I need to use rockwool or is fiberglass ok?

Is this 2 different locations? One: underneath the floor which is underneath the pad, which is underneath the stove? I can't imagine why that wouldn't be OK assuming you have 8" on each side of the stove and 18" in the front with the hearth pad. And two?? I'm not sure I am following. Someone else who is more awake will chime in :)

Sounds like a non-issue. Go for it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear . . .

My stove sits completely on a pre-fab hearth pad. The hearth pad's size and resistance are better than code for my stove.

The stove sits on the first floor in the living room.

I'm insulating the basement ceiling . . . . thus under the first floor. Can I insulate under the stove (basement) with fiberglass? I notice when I'm in the basement reaching up to touch the ceiling (floor below the stove) that it gets warm, not hot. Are fiberglass batts ok? Is rockwool better? Should I leave it alone or use another substance?

Thanks.

I understood what you said, go for it with fiberglass. No worry.

wood will burn before the fiberglass, go fo it.

Status
Not open for further replies.