Insulation question for wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 7, 2012
Mass
I have a vermont castings wood burning insert stove. The chimney is and exterior chimney that is always cold and drafts run through the sides, top, and bottom of the stove when it is not on. A mason years ago wrapped the pipe that goes from the top of the stove into the chimney with a white insulation to keep the pipe warm. It made a huge difference with lighting/starting the stove and also down drafts. I have no idea what the insulation is.

My question is does anyone have an idea what that insulation could be?

The second question is can I use that same insulation to wrap around the back, sides, and bottom of the stove to help with those drafts?

It soundslike it might be kaowool. That stuff is really bad to breathe in. Is the kaowool wrapped in a foil cover to keep the particles from going airborne?

I would not wrap the stove. It doesn't stop the cold air from glowing into the room. Also it may result in overheating of the stove. After all it's designed to shed heat thru those locations into the room.

Edit: I didn't read well. It's an insert. I don't know how that would change things.

Do you have an insulated block off plate?

You mention the insulation is white. Does the insulation have a silver foil backing to it? I ask that bc that would be the standard way to insulate a stainless liner.

I would not wrap the stove. It doesn't stop the cold air from glowing into the room. Also it may result in overheating of the stove. After all it's designed to shed heat thru those locations into the room.

Edit: I didn't read well. It's an insert. I don't know how that would change things.

Do you have an insulated block off plate?
My apologies as I'm not sure what an insulated block off plate is. The chimney was built around this stove on an addition to the house. The box of the chimney that the stove sits in is mostly outside the exterior wall and the box gets super cold allowing draft into the room when the stove is not on. I'm mainly looking for an option to help with some of that draft and thought the insulation could be a solution as there is a lot of it above the stove wrapping the pipe that bends into the chimney.

A block off plate is a plate that closes off the chimney (whether it's class A in a chase or a liner in a masonry chimney) from the place where the stove or insert is. It is a tight/sealed plate that avoids cold air from the chase/chimney to sink into the room - of course with a (sealed) hole for the stove pipe to go through.

Reactions: stoveliker
It looked a lot like this
insulation.jpg

No, the pipe is about 18"or so long and elbows into the chimney. There is no liner in the chimney
There is your problem you need a full insulated liner. Sealed at the top and a block off plate at the bottom

OK so adding insulation around the stove to block the drafts is a no go? The stove has worked fantastic since we wrapped the pipe in insulation. I was hoping I could use a high heat insulation to help with the drafts. I'm not in the market for a full liner right now.

Insulation is not airtight so it won't be blocking air from coming in.

A liner + block off plate + cap will.

Also a liner may be required if you have any combustibles touching your masonry chimney.