Insurance companies can be a real pain.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sirlight

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2021
Albany, OR
The wood stove I have was installed by the previous owner. When I first moved here 11 years ago, I had the chimney swept and inspected by a professional chimney sweep. Since then I have been doing the maintenance and chimney sweeping myself. I just changed to a new insurance company. They are requiring a new inspection since the chimney sweep I used in the past was not a certified installer. Calling all over town the soonest I can get this done is 2 months from now at a cost of $189. Insurance companies seem the think that if you are burning wood you will burn the house down. The #1 cause of house fires is actually cooking, but they don't require an inspection of your cooking stove. Insurance companies can be a real pain!

When I was thinking about getting my insert, I called my Insurance company on if it would affect my premiums and they said it would not affect my premiums