Insurance Coverage Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CSchumacher

Aug 15, 2023
Hants County, NS
Hi!

Our existing outdoor wood furnance was purchased in 2017 – we upgraded to a more efficient model from a Wood Doctor purchased in 1998. It is located on a concrete pad 22’ 8” from our home. We are located in Nova Scotia.

We now have a G200 HeatMaster which is rated for a combustible clearance of 6” from back & sides and 24” from front opening
We do want to enclose this in a ‘furnance shed’ which it is rated for but have not started this project yet because our insurance broker is saying the furnace needs to be 50' from any combustible and can not be in a building as it would be considered a combustible!

I'm at a loss - not really wanting to move the unit 50' but if we did we would want it enclosed with the wood stored within.....any guidance on what insurance companies i should follow up with. We are currently with Intact.

Thanks!

Reactions: hobbyheater
Hi!

Our existing outdoor wood furnance was purchased in 2017 – we upgraded to a more efficient model from a Wood Doctor purchased in 1998. It is located on a concrete pad 22’ 8” from our home. We are located in Nova Scotia.

We now have a G200 HeatMaster which is rated for a combustible clearance of 6” from back & sides and 24” from front opening
We do want to enclose this in a ‘furnance shed’ which it is rated for but have not started this project yet because our insurance broker is saying the furnace needs to be 50' from any combustible and can not be in a building as it would be considered a combustible!

I'm at a loss - not really wanting to move the unit 50' but if we did we would want it enclosed with the wood stored within.....any guidance on what insurance companies i should follow up with. We are currently with Intact.

Thanks!
We've been insured with "Intact insurance" for 15 plus years, with wood heat as our primary source of heat and electric as our back up and we pay a 50% surcharge to have wood as our primary heat source. We are in BC, Canada.

Get a 20ft seacan and make that your boiler building and wood storage

Even just an enclosed trailer.