Insurance Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get it inspected by your town building official. Thet will want to see a manual and if everything is up to snuff they will sign off on it. Thats the way it works here anyway

Agreed, my inspector advised me as long as it was installed by the manufacturers guidelines it would be ok. I pulled a permit for the install, did the install then inspector signed off on it. The insurance agent then had me fill out a questionnaire for the insurance company and along with my signed off permit I was good to go.

Inspector I used to work with formerly worked as a Fire Investigator for insurance companies . . . he said a big part of his job was figuring out what caused the fire so the insurance company could then go after the appropriate party . . . i.e. if a lamp caused the fire the insurance company would attempt to get some money from the manufacturer of the lamp.
Yes Jake, insurance companies will go after anyone they can to get their money, e.g. product manufactures, but inspectors have tort immunity. You won't find them found at fault in court very often, for missing something, unless gross stupid is involved.

Does a wood burning stove and metal chimney system need to be professionally installed in order to get homeowner's insurance? .

Our insurance company requires a inspection , by a certified " Wett" inspector. The wood burning appliance and chimney if metal has to be Class A both have to be CSA or UL approved . The inspector checks off that all minimum clearances have been maintained , and his report also includes pictures of the stove and chimney.
The funny part of our last inspection occurred when our insurance broker had finished reading the inspectors report , informed us that the report still needed a picture of the wood burning stove! The picture below was the one in the report !

Attachments

• IMGP3685.JPG
    IMGP3685.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 228
I do not know where you live (original poster). It depends on the country, state, region, county and city that you live in. When building a new house in most of the western states (Rockies west) all inspections will all be done before the final is given, and any special permits or plan changes requiring permits will need to be done before that time (for everything, not just the stove). The general contractor is a licensed professional... he may or may not have to hire professinal and/or licensed sub-contractors, depending on state requirements. In Oregon a licensed electrician and plumber have to do electrical and plumbing work if the home is being sold or rented, but otherwise a general contractor or homeowner can do their own work and then have it inspected (even on plumbing and electrical). In Oregon, wood stoves need a permit and they have to be EPA certified, but anyone can install them as long as they meet the code and are inspected by the local county. In most of the western US, as a homeowner you can be your own contractor and pull permits and do your own work. I know that in the south and other places in the US, you cannot do that. Or if you do your own work, the inspection fees are the same as if they did the work themselves, specifically in states where contractors do their own inspections. Also there are city and state and county regulations regarding wood stove. In the SF Bay area, wood burning appliances cannot be installed in any new construction, period. In WA state all stoves have to meet strict WA state air quality standards and in many counties there they all have to have an OAK installed. Mobile/manufactured homes have their own requirements, and wood stoves have to be HUD approved to be installed in MHs anywhere in the US with an OAK. Many cities and regions have specific codes and variations on wood stove requirements, so you need to check with your city, county, and state before buying and installing a wood stove.

My insurance company gave me home insurance coverage with the wood stove, they never came by the house, and they did not raise any eyebrows in the process. Depends on the region and the insurance company I guess. My house in CA had a fireplace and that insurance company only came by to measure the distance from the nearest fire hydrant and fire station. Then did not bother to look inside.

My insurance company wanted it installed by a professional, the chimney lined, and all inspected by the town. They also stipulate that the chimney has to be cleaned at least once a year. When it was all done I asked if they wanted copies of the invoices for the install, the liner, and the signed permit from the town, and they said no. Sigh.

I do not know where you live (original poster). It depends on the country, state, region, county and city that you live in. When building a new house in most of the western states (Rockies west) all inspections will all be done before the final is given, and any special permits or plan changes requiring permits will need to be done before that time (for everything, not just the stove). The general contractor is a licensed professional... he may or may not have to hire professinal and/or licensed sub-contractors, depending on state requirements. In Oregon a licensed electrician and plumber have to do electrical and plumbing work if the home is being sold or rented, but otherwise a general contractor or homeowner can do their own work and then have it inspected (even on plumbing and electrical). In Oregon, wood stoves need a permit and they have to be EPA certified, but anyone can install them as long as they meet the code and are inspected by the local county. In most of the western US, as a homeowner you can be your own contractor and pull permits and do your own work. I know that in the south and other places in the US, you cannot do that. Or if you do your own work, the inspection fees are the same as if they did the work themselves, specifically in states where contractors do their own inspections. Also there are city and state and county regulations regarding wood stove. In the SF Bay area, wood burning appliances cannot be installed in any new construction, period. In WA state all stoves have to meet strict WA state air quality standards and in many counties there they all have to have an OAK installed. Mobile/manufactured homes have their own requirements, and wood stoves have to be HUD approved to be installed in MHs anywhere in the US with an OAK. Many cities and regions have specific codes and variations on wood stove requirements, so you need to check with your city, county, and state before buying and installing a wood stove.

My insurance company gave me home insurance coverage with the wood stove, they never came by the house, and they did not raise any eyebrows in the process. Depends on the region and the insurance company I guess. My house in CA had a fireplace and that insurance company only came by to measure the distance from the nearest fire hydrant and fire station. Then did not bother to look inside.
the house is being built in Eastern Tennessee - just west of Chattanooga.

the house is being built in Eastern Tennessee - just west of Chattanooga.

Looks like Tennessee is about the same as here, except here you can build accessory stuctures and patio covers under 200 sq. ft. without a permit.

From the Tennessee state web site:

Generally, building permits in Tennessee are issued by the local Building and Codes office in the city where your project will take place. In the case of unincorporated areas, permits are issued by the county office instead. Either way, the process is virtually the same. Some cities have a general building permit application, whereas others have separate permit applications for project type or for the different phases of construction. Not all cities have forms on their site and might only list a contact and phone number. Building permits in Tennessee are normally needed whenever you construct, alter, enlarge, repair, move, or demolish a structure. This includes interior remodeling and the construction of small accessory structures such as decks and detached garages. Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work will also require a building permit if the work goes beyond the most basic repairs. Finishing work like painting and carpeting will usually not require a building permit.

In addition to your basic building permit, many Tennessee municipalities also require specialty permits depending on the type of work you may be doing. These include electrical permits, mechanical permits for heating and ventilation system, and plumbing permits. Some cities may also require septic permits for tank installment, permits for minor plat completion, and grading permits. If additional permits are needed for your project in Tennesee, you will need to apply for them before your building permit will be issued. Most projects in Tennessee will need to be inspected by a city or county building inspector during construction. How many inspections your project requires depends on the type of work you are doing and your local building regulations. For example Waynesboro requires six aspects of a single family house to be inspected, but to save time and expense the inspections can be done in a just three site visits. You will get a list of required inspections and details on how to schedule an inspection when your building permit is issued.

Looks like Tennessee is about the same as here, except here you can build accessory stuctures and patio covers under 200 sq. ft. without a permit.

From the Tennessee state web site:

Generally, building permits in Tennessee are issued by the local Building and Codes office in the city where your project will take place. In the case of unincorporated areas, permits are issued by the county office instead. Either way, the process is virtually the same. Some cities have a general building permit application, whereas others have separate permit applications for project type or for the different phases of construction. Not all cities have forms on their site and might only list a contact and phone number. Building permits in Tennessee are normally needed whenever you construct, alter, enlarge, repair, move, or demolish a structure. This includes interior remodeling and the construction of small accessory structures such as decks and detached garages. Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work will also require a building permit if the work goes beyond the most basic repairs. Finishing work like painting and carpeting will usually not require a building permit.

In addition to your basic building permit, many Tennessee municipalities also require specialty permits depending on the type of work you may be doing. These include electrical permits, mechanical permits for heating and ventilation system, and plumbing permits. Some cities may also require septic permits for tank installment, permits for minor plat completion, and grading permits. If additional permits are needed for your project in Tennesee, you will need to apply for them before your building permit will be issued. Most projects in Tennessee will need to be inspected by a city or county building inspector during construction. How many inspections your project requires depends on the type of work you are doing and your local building regulations. For example Waynesboro requires six aspects of a single family house to be inspected, but to save time and expense the inspections can be done in a just three site visits. You will get a list of required inspections and details on how to schedule an inspection when your building permit is issued.
thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Also check to see if you need an inspection from your local fire department. A lot of times the insurance companies will want to see this.

Interesting thread. I basically just called my insurance company and told them I had a wood stove installed. The agent didn't make a big deal about it at all and told me he would add it to my policy. A slight 40$ increase to my yearly premium. No inspections or proof of proffesional install required.

Interesting thread. I basically just called my insurance company and told them I had a wood stove installed. The agent didn't make a big deal about it at all and told me he would add it to my policy. A slight 40$ increase to my yearly premium. No inspections or proof of proffesional install required.

You're in chilly NH, and the OP was way down in TN. I imagine insurance agents in NH are very used to their customers having woodstoves. Perhaps less common in Tenessee!

Status
Not open for further replies.