Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
Had with insurance companies but I know you have to have insurance.they want another wett inspection done even though I have had 2 done in the last 3 years.i understand cause I changed my stove out but clearances are exactly the same.then they tell me that it's a 25% surcharge to burn wood with or without the inspection.then the kicker was on the form ,how many hours a day do you burn,how many cords and how many days in the year do you burn.then they informed me that no longer hail damage on a metal roof.they only cover if it is perforated.i know I have to have insurance but would sure be nice to tell them what they can do.

I feel for you Marty and my insurance company is getting "squirrey" too and I am looking to change maybe to another one.. I have been with them for years and now they tell me they cannot insure me until I have the peak of my house "with a new roof".. I told you that I was going to get it done but not right now I said and everything else has a new roof on it--my garage and back of my house---"Can't you put some kind of a "rider" saying that if something happens to that part that you won't be paying for it---the answer was "No" we cannot insure you.. These companies are getting "crazy"...So I am looking for another company.....I expected him to say something about my beautiful new wood stove but not a word only in regard to a very small section on my house concerning my roof...clancey

Easy for you to say
Canada is different

Who are you with currently?

Formerly I was with TD Meloche Monnex, adding my woodstove increased my home insurance with them $250/year, would have been more if I would have burned more than 2 cords per year. Unfortunately their customer service was poor, to the point they even cancelled all my vehicle insurance for a period of 1.5 months without my knowledge "due to an error", but continued to withdraw monthly payments from my account.

I am currently with the Cooperators, my rates are slightly lower, all my liability coverage is now $2 million instead of $1 million, and my wood stove only costs me an additional $200/year with no restriction on the amount of wood I burn per year. Customer service is much better, and I feel good about their claims department, we lost our fifth wheel trailer in a fire at the dealer 3 months after our coverage started with them, they paid out everything we were entitled to under our policy including all contents with no hassle, I think I had the check in my hand in 3 weeks.

Shop around, I'm sure you'll find something, I'm not sure how Alberta compares with Manitoba but I would try the cooperators.

Not so much what I'm paying its the bloody wett inspection they want every year.@ 150 a pop.think I'm going to part ways with my broker as he seems to change companies every 2nd year thus the wett inspection.