Interested in the new BK Scirocco-is it right for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evilgriff

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2007
Northern New Jersey
I currently own a VC Intrepid II cat stove with glass front. It is installed in a small 1100 sq ft home, did very well, probably now for 10 years or so. Was looking at Progress hybrid and BK Scirocco, the BK has me salivating as the burn time is incredible compared to the VC. The price is in the stratosphere for it around here, but long term I think I will be ok. Nothing wrong with the VC other than short burn time (6-8 hr). Which of the two would be better for a single level ranch if clearances, etc are ok for both?

In an 1100 sq ft home, if the Intrepid is doing well, I would stick to the smaller Sirocco 20. In Woodstock stoves the Keystone would be a better fit IMO.

I used to own an Intrepid. If the Intrepid is heating your house and giving you 6-8 hours of heat, then the Sirocco will give you plenty of heat and you should get the longer burns that the Sirocco offers. The Sirocco is a bit bigger than the Intrepid (1.8 cu ft vs 1.3 cu ft for fireboxes)

The Progress Hibrid would probably be too large for you and the burn times will be shorter than the Sirocco. But, if you like the look of the Woodstock stove, you can also look at the Woodstock Keystone. It is a smaller stove, more in line with what you need, and will give you up to 12 hours of heat.

The styling of the Scirocco is a little more modern than I like, but the burn times more than overcome that obstacle for me. Really have to say I have enjoyed the VC. I am amazed at the cost of the BK compared to what I paid for the VC, but hey, same goes for my taxes and the price of oil. Already have a stock of wood, some at 7%, some at 10% to get me going this winter. I will be puling the trigger on the Scirocco, and will keep you updated when it gets here. Have a friend who has a Quadrafire insert (have no details on the model, etc) who is going with me on the trip for the stove (I have to travel some distance to get it) and is looking for longer burn times also. May need to pick your brains on that decision when the time comes. Happy burning this winter!!

Unless your lucky enough to find a Sirocco in a shop somewhere your going to be waiting up to two months for one. I was told they are selling like hot cakes and are back ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.