Interesting air sealing observation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I started mudding the joints in the cabin bathroom I'm rehabbing.

Insulation is about 3" closed cell foam in the ceiling, walls are 2" closed cell board w/ radiant barrier that's been foamed around the edge with polyurethane foam. The floor has no insulation.

So, I have a half tub of USG ultra light mud left over from a job. I might as well use it up. I put a thin coat on the corners, lay the paper tape, and squeegee the excess off to make it tight and smooth.

I did that yesterday morning. It's still darker colored in a couple spots. I figure there must have been a small gap between the sheets and the mud got pushed in. Since theres little to no air movement back there, it's not drying fast.

It's supposed to be faster drying than the lightweight compound, so I wonder what that would look like.

I guess it's not big news, I just thought it was interesting.

Small rooms take forever. Closets are bad too. The low air turnover leads to high rh and slow drying. This is our peak humidity time of year, sitting at 70% in the living room!

It’s like watching paint dry.

Nothing dries as fast as the dry mix that you have to add water to. All the wet mixes have different characteristics.