interior chimney block off plate worth it or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
Is this worth the work for the extra heat I could possibly get with a block off plate and insulation on my insert? Its an interior wall. Suggestions are appreciated.

I'd do it. If you really don't want to go the full route and make one out of sheet metal, I would at least stuff the area around liner where it enters the chimney with Roxul insulation.

pen

I'd do it. If you really don't want to go the full route and make one out of sheet metal, I would at least stuff the area around liner where it enters the chimney with Roxul insulation.

pen

+1.....I stuffed mine full with just Roxul 2 years ago. Pulled the old stove out before my new went in and it is holding in there fine without a plate.

So no metal block off plate? Just insulation is ok?

Yes...there have been several folks on here that have done it. You are just trying to keep the heat from rising up the chimney.

So no metal block off plate? Just insulation is ok?
Not just "insulation" Many will say fiberglass is fine. I wouldn't, fiberglass melts at 1300°F Roxul is non-combustible and withstands up to 2150°F. I had to buy $70 bucks worth in 4"x47"x16" batts, a pack of 12 batts. I can send you a few I have left over, $5 bucks, plus postage and whatever kind of packaging is needed costs also.

Reactions: Locust Post and pen
Not just "insulation" Many will say fiberglass is fine. I wouldn't, fiberglass melts at 1300°F Roxul is non-combustible and withstands up to 2150°F. I had to buy $70 bucks worth in 4"x47"x16" batts, a pack of 12 batts. I can send you a few I have left over, $5 bucks, plus postage and whatever kind of packaging is needed costs also.
I think it's a good deal. There is a thread, somewhere, with a link to a company that sells small amounts of Roxul. Mine has been taking up space for a few years, and will quickly go into the useless junk dumpster.

interior chimney, just used roxul. Haven't had a season with it yet though to report results. One day I may pull it and try the plate if I feel it will help

Status
Not open for further replies.