Intermediate Truck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
I'd drive the... Honda CRV instead.

Any chance of making a CRX work? Ya take all the junk behind the seat out and you can fit some amazing things in there. I also hear they like to pull Cats around! You do end up using whatever vehicle is at hand, and my old CRX was a seriously handy vehicle. I was once given a warning for hauling a Troy built tiller, a rabbit cage w/rabbits, several 5gal buckets of oil, and two refrigerators on mine.

My advice would be to settle for the intermediate truck, especially if you're going to be using it for a daily driver. Sure you could haul four times the wood with a dually diesel, or get the same MPG if you can find a Cummins, but with a cheap used truck it all comes down to what you find.

Of all of the vehicles I've loved, the small ones were a pleasure to drive and were junked because of rust, deferred maintenance etc. The big ones kept on working but I couldn't justify the costs for the few times I needed the extra capacity.

I've kinda been eyeballing this truck near me. I stopped in and looked at it when they were closed. I also dbl checked on the engine by giving them a call. it is listed wrong and I couldn't check it by using the VIN, because they must have typed the VIN wrong, too. It does have a 5.7L V8 (not the 4.3L some have) and it doesn't have any special packages, so its rated at around 1634lbs payload. I think they might be asking a little much for it, but I honestly think they might be close. I think that if I walk in with 7500 cash I might be able to get it. The pictures on their website don't really do it justice, it's VERY clean. I like idea of having a topper on it, too.

http://www.elbesellscars.com/details.cfm?vehicle=39494

Maybe throw some timbrens on there to sit a little nicer with a load, and still plan on using a trailer for bigger hauling jobs.

I'd wait for the right 3/4 or 1 ton to come up. 1/2 ton + short bed = not much wood hauled per trip.

Flatbedford said:
I'd wait for the right 3/4 or 1 ton to come up. 1/2 ton + short bed = not much wood hauled per trip.
I'm not moving yet, but the AC went out on the Jeep and that just makes the new truck itch worse.... In a week I'll be driving around in a suit and tie in 100+ weather in a stupid black jeep. I'm hesitating to take the jeep in, because I charged it and the charge was gone in a day. I looked everywhere for the leak and I'm not finding it. I'm worried that it could be the evaporator in the dash which is apparently a big job and could cost an arm and a leg.

SolarAndWood said:
If you are looking for an intermediate solution, why not something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999...2-WHEEL-DRIVE-/260647436141?pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Don't think I haven't thought about it. I could drive any direction and find a handful of grain trucks for sale (and cheap). I even went as far as to ask my insurance agent about an F-450. The insurance was crazy. I can't remember what it was, but I do remember immediately thinking that I'll mark those trucks off of my list ASAP.

I had the same issue with my 25999 GVWR International. It was great because you can drive it with a regular license in NY, the end of it was the insurance. Sold it and went to the dump trailer behind a 3/4 ton. My agent told me that 14K is the magic number. A lot of the F450s fall under 14K.

yeah, CDL is required here at 26K. I should have a CDL anyway, but I know Dad will rope me into hauling grain if I get one, so I've "been too busy" for years now, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.