Internal Stove Gasket Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I have a Jotul F400 which is about 11.5 years old. I have done nothing to it except remove ash and vacuum the stove at the end of season. It still functions perfectly but I noticed that some of the fiberglass material between the left side burn plate and secondary baffle chamber is starting to deteriorate. I suppose this isn't the only place, I just noticed this when loading the stove and a piece of wood brushed the gasket in that area and it pulled some from the seam. Anyway, my questions is .... what is the level of importance when it comes to the internal gaskets (vs door and glass)? If necessary, can I just push some new material in the spaces where the gaskets are failing or is this something that requires further attention?

It won’t make much of a difference. It’s very easily replaced. Just flip the gasket retainers around, push the baffle up and stick new 1” flat gasket in there. Each side uses about 5”.
If you’ve never cleaned above the baffle you should lower it and vacuum it off. If you can access it through the flue collar that would be easier if you’ve never had one apart.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
It won’t make much of a difference. It’s very easily replaced. Just flip the gasket retainers around, push the baffle up and stick new 1” flat gasket in there. Each side uses about 5”.
If you’ve never cleaned above the baffle you should lower it and vacuum it off. If you can access it through the flue collar that would be easier if you’ve never had one apart.

Thanks. Yes, I have vacuumed above the baffle through the flue collar. I will change the gaskets now that I know it isn't difficult.

It can be a little tricky to get them to stay until you lower the baffle back down. Not too bad though.

It can be a little tricky to get them to stay until you lower the baffle back down. Not too bad though.

I am getting ready for the upcoming season, so I decided to remove the secondary air chamber assembly to clean and inspect. It looks like it also needs the gasket that goes along the sides and back of the cast iron portion of the chamber. Is that a 3/8" gasket? I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find anything on the gasket except in the parts list it shows the gasket under item #36 "Gasket, L=1200" (?). There is another gasket shown as item #37, "L=820". The exploded diagram of the stove shows both of these gaskets as being somewhat long and, from what I can tell, it shows nothing pertaining to the flat gaskets. Anyway, from the responses above, I get that I need a 1"x 5" flat gasket for each side, but I am not sure about the other one (or two). It looks like there is also a gasket in between the air chamber (part with the holes in it) and the cast iron portion it attaches to above. I didn't separate them to look and I probably won't unless I need to. I am guessing that gasket is the part #37. I didn't see any of these gaskets listed for sale online. I think the kits they sell are for the doors and glass. Does anyone know where they are available (online if possible)?

We use spray adhesive to hold gaskets like that inplace untill everything is assembled. It certainly wont hold anything after the first fire but it helps with reassembly.

I am getting ready for the upcoming season, so I decided to remove the secondary air chamber assembly to clean and inspect. It looks like it also needs the gasket that goes along the sides and back of the cast iron portion of the chamber. Is that a 3/8" gasket? I tried to look it up, but I couldn't find anything on the gasket except in the parts list it shows the gasket under item #36 "Gasket, L=1200" (?). There is another gasket shown as item #37, "L=820". The exploded diagram of the stove shows both of these gaskets as being somewhat long and, from what I can tell, it shows nothing pertaining to the flat gaskets. Anyway, from the responses above, I get that I need a 1"x 5" flat gasket for each side, but I am not sure about the other one (or two). It looks like there is also a gasket in between the air chamber (part with the holes in it) and the cast iron portion it attaches to above. I didn't separate them to look and I probably won't unless I need to. I am guessing that gasket is the part #37. I didn't see any of these gaskets listed for sale online. I think the kits they sell are for the doors and glass. Does anyone know where they are available (online if possible)?
It’s unlikely that those gaskets will need replaced, there don’t really wear like a door gasket.

It’s unlikely that those gaskets will need replaced, there don’t really wear like a door gasket.

I wouldn't think they would, but I found it to be be something I would rather replace (since I have the unit apart).It is discolored and kind of crusty and flattened in spots. I would feel better replacing it.