Intrepid 2 catalyst issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scooter37

May 8, 2017
Michigan
So I recently took my intrepid 2 apart and did a little cleaning around the catalyst. For the first time I got the stove to run with the damper closed and the catalyst active.. I packed the stove with dry ash and put the airflow so it would burn low and long. ( small house under 1000 sqft). I woke up during the night to find the stove running over 700 degrees Fahrenheit and the house overheated.
Does anyone have some input for this stove? Is this normal? I can’t believe it would burn that hot on the low setting (or the high air flow setting).
Please let me know if you have any advice for me. Thanks!

May be time to regasket! Tap the glass w your finger. You get a dull thud? Ok. You get a rattle? Need a gasket.

May be time to regasket! Tap the glass w your finger. You get a dull thud? Ok. You get a rattle? Need a gasket.
Thanks for the response. I did gaskets last year and it is air tight. The only gasket that I missed was the one behind the panel in front of the catalyst. Perhaps that is relevant to my problem..

If you just ran it for the first time with the cat engaged, you just experienced its actual heat output for the first time. A lot of the stove's heat output comes from the cat.

Not sure if that stove burns low or not. Many cat stoves do.