Intrepid II Hearth Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranquilize

Jan 27, 2009
Western Canada
This is my first post, so hello, eh? from Alberta. I'm going to begin installation of a hearth for an Intrepid II soon, and I find the installation manual a little vague at times. It states "For a new hearth, we recommend a noncombustible floor protector such as 1/4" non-asbestos mineral board or its equivalent, or 24 gauge sheet metal . . . the floor protector may be covered with a noncombustible decorative material if desired."

I plan on using ceramic tile or slate for the hearth, and I read this as if I will likely need both the board/metal and tile/slate. Am I reading this correctly, or is thick slate on my plywood flooring enough? I want to be really safe, but I'm not sure what the norm would be. I did search the forums for answers, but the usual answer to a similar question was "it depends on the stove." I do have a bottom heat panel/protector on the stove as well, if that helps.

Cheers,

Lance

Hey, Tranquilize

<>This is my first post, so hello, eh? from Alberta.<>

Welcome, eh...

<>I'm going to begin installation of a hearth for an Intrepid II soon, and I find the installation manual a little vague at times. It states "For a new hearth, we recommend a noncombustible floor protector such as 1/4" non-asbestos mineral board or its equivalent, or 24 gauge sheet metal . . . the floor protector may be covered with a noncombustible decorative material if desired."

I plan on using ceramic tile or slate for the hearth, and I read this as if I will likely need both the board/metal and tile/slate. Am I reading this correctly, or is thick slate on my plywood flooring enough? I want to be really safe, but I'm not sure what the norm would be. I did search the forums for answers, but the usual answer to a similar question was "it depends on the stove." I do have a bottom heat panel/protector on the stove as well, if that helps. <>

If your manual doesn't give an "R" or "K" value, then you have to refer to NFPA 211...
If you have 6" or longer legs, you can have 2" ob bricks with the 24 gage steel over it...
If your legs are LESS than 6" (but more than 2") you have to have 4" of bricks with the 24 gage sheet metal over them, & the bricks hafta be hollow with the cavities aligned for air flow...

Tranquilize said:
..."For a new hearth, we recommend a noncombustible floor protector such as 1/4" non-asbestos mineral board or its equivalent, or 24 gauge sheet metal . . . the floor protector may be covered with a noncombustible decorative material if desired."...

I think the manual is actually very specific, even though it doesn't get into k's or r's. It says "1/4" mineral board or equivalent, OR 24 gauge sheet metal. OP plans to install tile or slate to the finished surface. Seems to me that a sheet of 24 gauge on the floor, with 1/2" of Durock atop that, then the tile/slate would more than satisfy the manufacturer's requirement. I really don't think this is a situation where reverting back to generic NFPA 211 standards is required. Sounds like this stove requires fairly minimal hearth protection. Must have a bottom heat shield, eh? Rick

Make sure you keep that bottom heat shield on and that you have the standard 7" long legs. Anything different means you probably need more protection that what's been mentioned.
In my own experience(Intrepid II with 7" legs and bottom heat shield), the stove gives off very little heat from the bottom. The ash pan and the recess below it (fill that with sand/ashes/or perlite for additional insulation) serve to block most of the heat in that direction.
The hearth actually stays cool to touch beneath the stove and is actually warmer to the sides of the stove.

Thank you very much for all of your replies. I will be sure to use the sheet/board + the Durock + the tile. I will also check the legs to see that they are the right height. Do most stoves require more than this? What would be the best to use just in case I wanted to swap stoves some day?

Cheers,

-Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.