Intrepid II Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sdenison

Nov 15, 2017
CT
Hello,

I am new to this forum, but learning a lot already. I just purchased a used Vermont Castings Intrepid II 1308 wood stove in good condition for $75.00. It is in fine shape for its age, but I am going to rebuild it before putting it to use. I am doing a complete tear down and rebuild to make sure that I get many years of service. My question is about the tie rods. I imagine while I am in there I ought to replace the tie rods. I have seen them sell for as much as $25 each online. TO me this seems like a lot of money for ¼” threaded rod, but I am not sure about the steel in the tie rods vs. hardware store threaded rods. I am wondering if anybody has run into this before and has come up with a solution that is better than spending $100 for four rods.

Thanks!

You can go with commercial grade threaded rods. Make sure they are a couple of inches longer than you need
& once the hex nuts are tightened securely at the bottom, take a pair of vise grips & snap off the excess.