Intrepid Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

intrepidandy

Jan 20, 2015
Cornwall England
Hi Guys newbie here, I have recently acquired a 1982 Vermont castings intrepid stove and have completely stripped and rebuilt it. When I picked it up everything that would come out was taken out for transport so I rebuilt it by parts diagrams and pictures. Now it's all back together I have two pieces left which are not shown in the parts diagram(see pics) You can see where I have put them(on top of the grate) it's the only place they seem to fit!! Is this right, what's their purpose, am I missing anything related to them. Thanks in advance for any replies..............................................Andy.

Attachments

• Photo0156.jpg
    Photo0156.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Photo0160.jpg
    Photo0160.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 226
They look like the right and left air tubes. If so, they appear to be placed correctly.

Hi thanks for the response, yes you are right I have since found the part numbers and they are indeed the air tubes. I wonder why they are not on the parts diagram?! Anyway it looks like there should be fire bricks on top of the tubes? do you know if this is so?........................Cheers Andy.

Take a look at the Intrepid parts diagram on Woodmans Parts Plus. It shows the air tubes for your model.

O.k now that's very interesting! it seems I have the air tubes from a coal kit but nothing else, I have a flat grate and not three separate pieces like in the diagram. The diagram for the coal kit also shows two fire bricks one on top of each air tube. Now what to do leave them out as in the 1302 diagram or get two fire bricks and leave them in ?? either way it should not make much difference as far as I can see...............................................Thanks for your help... Andy.

I was wondering about the lower lip on the air tubes. It looks like the firebrick may hold them in. IIRC, the coal kit was an option for this stove. You might be fine just pulling out the air tubes and running the stove without them if you are going to be burning wood.

That's what those little side pieces were for, coal kit. I think the kid also included rocker grates. Was there a plugged hole in the side of the stove near the bottom, maybe where a shaker grate rod went thru? wait, maybe near the front?

That makes sense, particularly if the 3 notches in the air tubes are to receive the tongs for the rocker grates. Andy, you might want to login over at the coal forum and ask if there are any Intrepid owners with this kit. Maybe ask them to take a picture with the full kit installed?
www.nepacrossroads.com

Status
Not open for further replies.