Introducing the Hearthstone Lincoln

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I do like that Jotul 606 on the back left side in the video.

No pricing yet but why would I chose it over the non cat 2b from a cost and performance perspective? ( anyone interested in seeing the 2b efficiency numbers on the new EPA test method? I am).

I get the smaller clearances are a big selling point but I’m not concerned with those.
The new FRM from EPA is not available. You could be referring to the ASTM3053 Cordwood method (which is an Alternative Test Method) ATM. EPA revoked the method in June of last year after discovering some real issues.

EPA should have the FRM in 2024 or 2025.

BKVP

I don’t understand why these boneheaded engineers don’t make these little stove able to be rear vented. They’re ignoring a large demographic of potential customers.
As we boneheaded folks design wood stoves to meet an ever changing landscape of emissions requirements, we decrease PM, but increase efficiency. A decrease in the heat loss in the stack is a major contributor to performance issues in rear vented stoves.

But we try....

BKVP

Saw it in a local shop the other day, nice looking little unit. I tried to slide the cat back and forth and it was jammed 😖! Wouldn’t budge. Metal cat with small cells looks like a poor design to me.
A ceramic cat would not tolerate the shock of normal operations.

BKVP

I ran the GM60 for two seasons, although the Cat doesn't slide like this new unit, it was situated right under the stack facing vertically. It seems counter intuitive, but I actually had consistently lower stack temps - during all phases of the burn - with the GM60 than I do now with a BK Ashford.
To be honest, unless you got a fire going good and then snuffed out the flame in the GM60, I don't think that cat really ever did anything. It never glowed, stack temps were low, the cat temp never spiked after engaged, etc. My theory is it has something to do with the velocity of the gasses traveling through the cat. I noticed the BK not only positions the Cat horizontal, they also put a little baffle behind the cat - I assume to slow down the flow of gasses through the cat for more complete combustion.
Anyways, point is, I'm not a fan of the positioning of those hearthstone cats. Seemed pretty unproductive to me.
Our combustors are vertical in their integration, not horizontal. We've learned the impact of horizontal designs in the 1980's.

BKVP

As we boneheaded folks design wood stoves to meet an ever changing landscape of emissions requirements, we decrease PM, but increase efficiency. A decrease in the heat loss in the stack is a major contributor to performance issues in rear vented stoves.

But we try....

BKVP
I just made a down payment on a princess 29i.

Big no no, he opened the door while the cat was engaged.

I noticed that also, assumed it was just because he’s demonstrating but then again, demonstrate it correctly. I like how easily accessible the cat seems to be, but I’m not sure about having the lever pulled out in front of the stove like that while waiting for it to heat. Wouldn’t that be in the way a bit?

Looks like a nice alternative to the C3 though, I like that you can manually control the air intake.

Not sure how accessible the cat is for maintenance? Looks like it’s on top of the baffle in bypass mode then shoved over the flue collar to engage. How would you get to the cat to vacuum or brush off?

Found this vid showing how to get at the cat. It’s a handsome little stove. I’ve no experience with soapstone but I imagine that would really improve the heat output of an overnight burn on a stove this small.