Inverter Generators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rutnstrut

Hearth Supporter
Just purchased a Tripplite conditioner to add to a future inverter generator. Would a Generac ix800 model work for a Summer Heat 1500 sq ft. pellet stove or should i get the 1000 or 2000 model. This generator will only be tasked with running the pellet stove.

I just looked at that one online yesterday. (lc1200) I may grab one to use with my stove.

rutnstrut, A serious question: Why would you need a Line Conditioner with an Inverter. I was/am under the impression that the generator/inverter has a built-in line conditioner which makes it an inverter.

Of course, I could be totally confused on this issue.

Best wishes and good luck. :)

Sorry if I'm ignorant.

If the generator/inverter is putting out modified sine wave, it will stay a modified sine wave? Even through a conditioner?

Most generators put out near true sine wave, but most inverters do not.

Well per the manuals...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1PXX3BJQMKW7V5CQA5ME
This would give you the pure sine wave requirement.

But like I said most generators put out close enough to pure sine wave that it does not matter.

But if the generator is generating a off voltage and then inverting that to 120 volts, then your sine wave is likely not going to be a pure sine wave.

Like I said I'm ignorant, this is just what I understand from what I've read. I run my pure sine inverter off my car while it's running and do just fine. (100 AMP 12 VOLT alternator generates around 1000-1200 watts, enough for a pellet stove)

Generac's specs for the model 5793 iX2000 shows it has less than 3% THD, which is pretty good. In marketing terms, that's better than 97% "pure sine wave".

Status
Not open for further replies.