IR thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I have the HF brand one, only had it one winter, and the display is weak and hard to read. The battery indicator says full charge on battery and it works. I was wondering if freezing it in the cabin, screwed the display up? Might have to get another one, or maybe a better one. Anyone had this experience?

Cold can make LCD displays dim and slow to respond.

True, but the display usually comes back when the temperature moderates. You may go ahead and try a fresh battery...could be that the battery indicator is too optimistic and there just isn't enough power to run everything or that you are getting good voltage, but too little current. Before you trash it, I'd take it apart and do the 'jiggle test' - just poking and jiggling different wires and components to see if there is any response.

Or you may consider taking it back for an exchange - I've had super good luck with the few things I've had to return.

I'll try a new battery, see if the display improves. I notice that if I look at the display at an odd angle it's clear, but can hardly see it when looking directly at it.

Does sound like the battery is headed south!

Status
Not open for further replies.