Irene=wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Neihbor had a good size oak fall over the street city came and pushed it to the side. got what i could before dark. hopefully be some left tomorrow. then i have a few trees at my uncles property this week to get. We got some pretty bad flooding here. im fortunate to not loose power.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 629
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 593
Eco nice grab, what river is that or is it a small stream that grew into a river?

zap

Lots of oak down around here on L.I., too. I did grab some , but I'm being a bit wood-snobbish and scrounging for ash and locust (for seasoning purposes).

zapny said:
Eco nice grab, what river is that or is it a small stream that grew into a river?

zap
its the farmington river. that was actually at a dam. but yeah its no where near ever that big. that was like class 5 rapids in there. so many streets here in my town turned into full out rivers. lots of houses were damaged

Nice grab. Glad to see you survived in good shape.

Nice lookin rounds. Gotta love those roadside scores.

Lots of wood available here in the middle of CT, but since I don't have a log splitter (just couldn't afford one), ............I spent most of the day after the storm passed, helping my neighbors get their downed trees of their cars and houses.

glad we made it through relatively unscathed!! No water in the basement, which was the biggest blessing!!

-Soupy1957

SolarAndWood said:
Nice lookin rounds. Gotta love those roadside scores.
roadside scores walking distance from the house even better. those dont come around all that often. theres 2 nice sectons left probably 6 feet long 18 inches round that i didnt have the time left to cut up last night. hope its still left when i come home from work tonight.

eco, you no doubt should end up with lots of wood from this storm. Get all you can!

Well some guys are cuttin up the rest I'd that nice oak. I'm on baby duty so i won't be able to get any of what's left which is what I figured. Oh well got a decent load.

Fire up your saws and trucks - I donwanna hear about any of you east coasters buying wood or complaining about getting ripped off for at least 3 years

Already have 12 cords for myself. Got more coming this week. This one just happen to be across the street

Almost makes me sick to have to go to work today :) Beautiful 77* high today and sunny... drove by lots of downed trees and here I had to sit at a desk all day. Ug. Maybe I'll get an hour after work to drive around and find some scores... but things disappear rather fast around these parts.

Slow1 said:
Almost makes me sick to have to go to work today :) Beautiful 77* high today and sunny... drove by lots of downed trees and here I had to sit at a desk all day. Ug. Maybe I'll get an hour after work to drive around and find some scores... but things disappear rather fast around these parts.
sure do. Specially when guys drive around with bobcats and grapple picking wood up. Must be nice. Maybe someday

When this monster comes down I'm all over it!

IMG_0910.jpg

Badfish740 said:
When this monster comes down I'm all over it!

IMG_0910.jpg
that's bout the size if the one that came down next to. That looks scary.

Slow1 said:

Slow, how much wood did you take home from the tornado area?

Ive been getting wood left and right around here.

Hopefully Ill get a picture taken at some point, hasnt slowed down enough for me to get one yet!

Backwoods Savage said:
Slow1 said:

Last load was pretty good thanks to Remmi (filled up the truck) so over 1/2 cord - mostly oak so I made out pretty good. Not bad for 3 day's work eh? :)

This storm may not be too bad in the end - a friend at work has some wood down around his house and I'm going to swing by his house after work to see what the utility company cut up. All he can tell me is that it is wood - used to be a tree, had leaves not needles. Seems almost like waiting to open gifts on Christmas morning - never know what it will turn out to be eh?

Loaded up my first bed load of the oak score this morning. With a 60 gallon toolbox tank (filled with nearly 400lbs of fuel and tools) and I can only carry so much, so I'm hoping I can bargain with the DPW guys to just push it off to the side of the road when they re-open it and just take the small stuff to the town dump. The main trunk I'm afraid I won't be able to handle-gonna need a 36"+ bar for that bad boy!

Slow1 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Slow1 said:

Last load was pretty good thanks to Remmi (filled up the truck) so over 1/2 cord - mostly oak so I made out pretty good. Not bad for 3 day's work eh? :)

This storm may not be too bad in the end - a friend at work has some wood down around his house and I'm going to swing by his house after work to see what the utility company cut up. All he can tell me is that it is wood - used to be a tree, had leaves not needles. Seems almost like waiting to open gifts on Christmas morning - never know what it will turn out to be eh?

Good news for you Slow. Get all you can.

Backwoods Savage said:
Slow1 said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Slow1 said:

Good news for you Slow. Get all you can.

Guess I was too naughty this year - it was a dud. Someone else got there first so all gone... oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.