Ironwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
This was a bonus find while picking up some other wood I split last year. I never had ironwood before so I'm not 100% on the ID.

20221113_112141.jpg 20221113_112224.jpg 20221113_125247.jpg

Might be. Is it super heavy for the size?

Reactions: cahaak
Lots of wood called Ironwood around the world. I have Eastern Hophornbeam on my woodlot as an understory tree. It has got very tight rings but doesnt grow very large. The Bluebeech (American Hornbeam)the OP asked about is different tree but also called Ironwood and I also would guess is an understory tree.

Reactions: mark cline
Around here in Ontario, it is called ironwood and it is quite plentiful in our forests. They grow up to 16 inches in diameter and up to about 60 feet tall of dead straight timber.

It has exceptional burn times especially when cut and left in rounds 10-12 inches in diameter. It even bests the burn times of the local oak varieties of the same diameter.

Savor the moment as that is a really nice wood for burning over the winter.

Lots of wood called Ironwood around the world. I have Eastern Hophornbeam on my woodlot as an understory tree. It has got very tight rings but doesnt grow very large. The Bluebeech (American Hornbeam)the OP asked about is different tree but also called Ironwood and I also would guess is an understory tree.
Yes. What we call ironwood here is op's picture. And it is an understood tree I've only seen them maybe 6 to 10 inch diameter and less than 30ft tall in the woods I frequent

Reactions: thewoodlands
Interesting
Never heard of it. Learn something every day😝
The Blue Beech rots quick if you don't stack it real quick. I'm not sure how I found this out but it did make for some nice soil!

I thought it was beech. You threw me off the the name.

We just call it ironwood. When I burned wood I would save the ironwood for January and February when it was the coldest.