Is 10' of 6" flue enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2Orion

Hearth Supporter
Apr 2, 2009
St. Louis Mo
I recently bought a Robin Hawke insert for my fireplace from CL. We had ~2 weeks of highs in the teens here in STL and my heat pump needed some assisstance so I gave it a "slammer" install to get it up and running and help out with the electric bill. I got it in the tiny firebox with a little help from my 4.5" grinder. I used some 6" stove pipe and some creative trimming with the tin snips to "stub" the insert to the damper of the fireplace.
Now I want to do a proper install with a liner, block off plate and cap.
When I climbed up on the roof today the tale of the tape is as follows:
6.5"x 11" id clay tile flue, straight as an arrow, no misaligned sections
10'4" from the top of the insert(outlet) to the top of the clay tile flue. The flue is the highest part of the house. Its 4' from the peak and is about 6" higher than the peak.

My question(s)

Will a 6" liner fit into my flue or do I need 5"? I would love to use 6" because I can get a 14' piece from CL for $150.

Which would draw better, 5" or 6"? The fireplace never had enough draw and neither does the insert the way it is now, although it is a little better. I guess due to the smaller door opening of the insert. Researching fixes for the poor draw is how I found this site in the first place.

If I need more flue height, how do I get it?
I'll try to post some pics if I can get the camera away from the wife later.

You should be able to ovalize 6" liner and get it down there....it can often be slightly flattened with a board and your weight, etc.

If you need more height the pipe should somehow be encapsulated so that it does not get too cold. You could use the castings only from one of these to surround the liner as it extends out of the chimney....

http://www.extendaflue.com

Status
Not open for further replies.