Is a cant hook, or peavey, a must have tool ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I cut a lot of eastern hardwoods, and there's not a log I couldn't roll with my 48" cant hook.

I think this is the first time I’ve ever disagreed with something you’ve said, TreePointer. I come across quite a few logs I can’t roll with my 60” cant hook, I can’t even imagine going into the woods with something as short as 48”.

I weigh 170 lb., so some of you have a weight advantage on me, but there’s only so much you can do with a 5000 lb. log that ain’t perfectly straight and round.

48 inch hooks might be more convenient or faster for smaller stuff, but if I only carry one with me, it’s going to be 60 inches.

Reactions: Spikem and fire_man
I think this is the first time I’ve ever disagreed with something you’ve said, TreePointer. I come across quite a few logs I can’t roll with my 60” cant hook, I can’t even imagine going into the woods with something as short as 48”.

I weigh 170 lb., so some of you have a weight advantage on me, but there’s only so much you can do with a 5000 lb. log that ain’t perfectly straight and round.

48 inch hooks might be more convenient or faster for smaller stuff, but if I only carry one with me, it’s going to be 60 inches.
I have about 60 lb on you and have encountered some I could not roll! Thats why I have 2 of the Woodchucks so my son can help! Even at that occasionally we will have to buck one into to get it rolled.

I have the 60” logrite, and it’s worth every penny. The only trouble with this tool is that, after using it awhile, you’ll feel ruined every time you have to use your buddy’s cheaper version.
Have you seen the new replacement hook for them? I replaced both of mine with the new style and absolutely love it! M
IMG_3077.jpg
ore purchase power with the new design..you regulate the set depth by how hard you swing it.It doesnt slip out like many round styles do.
IMG_3079.jpg
IMG_3078.jpg

Is that for peavy or cant hook? I only own the cant.
I misunderstood your previous post...this is for the Logrite pickaroon.

Reactions: Ashful

You're right--I've had to use all of 230 lbs and give a hefty yank on the 48" arm with some big logs. Because it's for firewood and not the mill, I can buck it into something more manageable if needed before rolling it. Another thing I wasn't considering in my earlier comment was that I'll use a tractor/truck to move the big monsters. Take away the big toys, and I think I just might want that 5 foot hook or peavey.

Last edited:
You're right--I've had to use all of 230 lbs and give a hefty yank on the 48" arm with some big logs. Because it's for firewood and not the mill, I can buck it into something more manageable if needed before rolling it. Another thing I wasn't considering in my earlier comment was that I'll use a tractor/truck to move the big monsters. Take away the big toys, and I think I just might want that 5 foot hook or peavey.

Got it. I’m skidding them out of the woods with a tractor, often over 1/4 mike at a time, so I avoid bucking shorter at all costs. It takes twice as long to skid a tree out of the woods in 7’ lengths, as it does in 15’ lengths.

Same with loading my trailer, now that I have the winch rig.

I don’t use the stand on the Logrite peavey I have because, doing most of this in the woods where the ground is soft, the stand rarely stays flat.

I can't imagine bending the Logrite. My spine would break first !!!.