Is anyone using corrugated roof panels to cover wood stocks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I can't deal with tarps anymore. Most of them shredded by wind and punched through sharp corners in a year. They are not cheap as well.
I'm thinking of other solutions.
I see those corrugated roof panels on sale now.

Is anyone using them or has advice on how good the idea is?

Been using them for years to cover my wood. Make sure there’s a decent slope for drainage.
IMG_6780.jpeg

I use the PVC Palruff panels as they cost less. They seem to hold up but a bit of a PITA to cut. Corrugates works fine although I still recommend getting it up off the wood on top to allow air flow.

The photo uses an old sign material similar to AZEK PVC panels. The key is put a slight slope on the top and aim the corrugations down hill and the snow will slide off after a few warm days.

top cover.JPG

I think that is a good idea (metal vs tarps) - and if you don't want to build something, use peakbagger's way of holding it up by screwing some 2x4s into the stacks.

Exactly the idea I was looking for.
That's my wood and tarp disaster .

IMG_2769.jpeg

IMG_2770.jpeg

IMG_2771.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg

Yes, how that looks might even be better without anything on it (tarps close on there, concentrating water, etc.)

But the corrugated metal will be much much better.

I hate tarps!
I scored a whole pile of used/crusty looking steel barn siding/roofing for cheap (like $1/sheet!) it works just fine for covering the stacks...I just plop a concrete block on each end, they stay put pretty well...if they come off, it's because it was really REALLY windy!

It's summer, firewood likes the sun, don't worry about a cover until fall.

The opinions of the benefit to keep getting ones wood wet diverge :)

Here’s another shed I have that’s put together with some free pallets and then a corrugated roof. In this case the roof is asphalt, but corrugated metal would work too.
IMG_6286.jpeg

Reactions: AstroBoy