Is it a mistake to buy the biggest insert that will fit in the firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cos_man99

Mar 9, 2010
West Michigan
I have an approx. 30 year old Lopi insert (I think it would be considered a medium sized insert) in my 1600 sq. foot home. I am looking to update to a new insert. Is there a reason NOT to get the largest insert that will fit in my firebox? According to the research I have done most of the largest inserts made will fit in my firebox. I like the idea of having a nice big window to view the fire. I have a 31 foot chimney and plan to reline with new 6" stainless so I don't think draft will be a problem.

I am thinking Lopi Freedom or PE Summit, or something in that vain.

Thanks so much for your replies. I have learned a lot already on this forum. You folks are great.

cos_man99 said:
I have an approx. 30 year old Lopi insert (I think it would be considered a medium sized insert) in my 1600 sq. foot home. I am looking to update to a new insert. Is there a reason NOT to get the largest insert that will fit in my firebox? According to the research I have done most of the largest inserts made will fit in my firebox. I like the idea of having a nice big window to view the fire. I have a 31 foot chimney and plan to reline with new 6" stainless so I don't think draft will be a problem.

I am thinking Lopi Freedom or PE Summit, or something in that vain.

Thanks so much for your replies. I have learned a lot already on this forum. You folks are great.

As long as the insert isn't going into a small room I think the Freedom would be fine for your area. It is rated to heat up to 2,200. I would describe it as a perfect fit for your square footage and weather.

Welcome cos_man. Go for the big box as long as the insert is not in a closed off area. If the heat can circulate throughout the house, the big box will work ok in moderate weather. Just feed it less wood and let the fire die down if it's getting too warm. During those colder months it will give you longer burns and much appreciated warmth.

Save yourself money and get the largest that will fit your space. You can always build a small fire in a large firebox but you can't build a big fire in a small firebox.

My first insert was okay for days above 40* but just couldn't keep up on days below 40*. Lots of coal build up and wasted fuel - had to shovel out coals to add more wood tho keep temps up on cold days. With our second insert I have never had a coal build up problem and it burns like a charm in colder weather. In fact, the colder it is the more it likes to burn.

Insert is a bit less efficient than a freestanding stove, so get a bunch of it if you can. I heat a 1600 sq ft log home with a Hampton I300, and it works pretty well in even cold weather with the blower on high- despite my naturally drafty construction here (the heat does, however, circulate exceptionally well in my house).

Go big for an insert unless it's a room smaller than 20x20 with no doors or openings to other rooms for heat flow. If it's a normal open floor plan, I agree with the fellow posters, go large.

I had the huge Lopi Freedom Bay model in my 1700SF home when I moved in. I burned it for one winter before ripping down the whole chimney/fireplace. It was not too big for my home in my moderate climate so I would not hesitate for a second to put the freedom in your home in your climate. Maybe even a bigger stove like the summit. You will appreciate the room in the firebox.

I would choose the summit over the Lopi. The lopi was very expensive (replacement value) and the air control was a silly design. The summit is a much better deal.

I just went thru the same debate with myself. Ended up buying the Regency I3100 as it was the biggest that I could fit into my opening. Would have bought the Summit if it would have fit. Go big or go home.

PE summit is excellent choice... go big or go home... you can always have a smaller fire in a bigger stove if need be, but it's nice to have the extra nut when you need it.

The extra nut.... great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.