Is it drying? Is it rotting away?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi , I have about 4 cords of mostly beech and some oak that is cut to size but still in rounds. Diameters varies from 8 " to 20-25". Do you think it might dry a little while stored like this?
just don't have time to split it this year. Not sure about next as well.

I have about 12 cords CSS so I'm good for 2-3 years. Is it safe to store rounds unsplit?

Doesn't look rotted in the photos ?? I think you are ok as long as the rounds are up off the ground. I had some white oak rounds that were left sitting for over a year and they didn't rot. Infact they didn't even start to get dry a year later until I split them. The ends looked dry but not the center. And those were sitting on the ground.

I think you will be fine.

I would say that 100% of the time due to storage issues I'm forced to collect rounds and leave them un-split for a year. I actually find that it helps when it comes time to split the rounds - they'll start to dry (very little) and develop cracks in the ends, and the rounds want to split on their own a little bit easier when you take the maul to them. Like others have said - they need to be off the ground to prevent rot, but you should be good to go.

Looks ok to me as long as it is off the ground. I'd consider covering the top though.

They'll be fine for awhile. I left some walnut and even ash on the ground for a good 8-10 months. Just keep an eye on the bottom row. Once it starts having a black looking moisture line from the ground up, it's time to consider splitting.

Stick something sharp into the bottom round from to time and check for softness/rot.

Oak will be fine, beech ?????? rots quick like birch in the round.

Looks fine to me also. +1 on maybe top covering it if you are worried about possible rotting.

I had some red maple that started getting spalted/punky in the rounds after about a year. I heard beech doesn't hold real well in the rounds either. Keep and eye on it and split a round every so often to check it out. I definitely would not go through next summer without thoroughly checking it out.

I think you should stop neglecting your wood. Give it away to someone who would take care of it correctly. Someone here may call the authorities on you.

Don't let the wood in open space.. Store them in a secured place.. Cover them during rain because prolonged moisture content may cause the wood to get rotten.

Thank you, guys, for replies. The wood is on pallets, not on the ground, in fairly open area. I'll take my chances and let it sit for the winter. It's not like I have a choice anyway.

They look fine....and so does that poison ivy growing around the stack.
It does look like a poison ivy in a picture. But ,it is not. It has three leafs on end but it's serrated in a different way, has small spikes on a vine. I have some poison ivy braking out here and there. This is ongoing battle that I'm winning so far with chemical stuff from HD. My biggest ally is Virginia Creeper that takes over cleared spots.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Keep it off the ground and top covered, it should be OK. Rounds start going punky when they're exposed to the elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.