Is it possible to clean the creosote that's behind the shield inside the firebox on King 40?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerome P

Jan 20, 2023
West Central Wisconsin USA
Is it possible to clean the creosote that's behind the shield on the side panel inside the firebox?

Alongside this question would be, What's the long-term effect of never finding a way to get back there and clean out the deposit's that will eventually fill that space? I would think with moisture it would eventually eat its way through the sidewalls.

What would be nice would be a flexible wire brush that attaches to either a drill or oscillating tool. Hell, even a manual brush that would work would be great. What have others done that's effective?

I’ve wondered the same thing about my Princess. I can fit my fireplace poker kind of around the edges. When I’m burning low and slow for a while there’s a bit of build up back there.

I assume that is part of the reason you’re supposed to run the stove on high frequently. To burn that off.

Find a piece of banding strap that they use to hold items on a pallet and bend one end at a 90.

I’ve wondered the same thing about my Princess. I can fit my fireplace poker kind of around the edges. When I’m burning low and slow for a while there’s a bit of build up back there.

I assume that is part of the reason you’re supposed to run the stove on high frequently. To burn that off.
It won’t burn off. It will dry and flake off, sometimes in big sheets, but it stays back there. On the princess it can be cleaned. I do it with a thin rubber hose on an air compressor blow nozzle. Puff and scrape it to the rear where it falls out.

The king has a rear heat shield so I’m not sure how to clean this area.

Reactions: DonTee