Is it possible to lower my fireplace firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan

Oct 3, 2006
Holland Patent, NY
Since this is a new topic, I figured I'd start a new thread. Thanks for all the help on figuring out how to handle my Hearth Extension Project. In the end I decide to remove my hearth and build a new one.

Attached is a pic of where things stand now.

Also attached are some pictures of how the fireplace firebox is built up. Looks like a layer of firebrick, then mortar, then concrete.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but since I'm undertaking this redesign, it would be remiss of my not to ask.

Is there a way to lower the floor level of my firebox? The new hearth is going to mainly be flush with the floor, but as it stands now, I'm going to need to build a raised platform for my insert to stick out on (about 15" including blower and damper control). I would love to be able to have the entire hearth flush with the floor, and the insert sitting at floor level, but the only way to do that is to lower the firebox.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Hearth1.JPG
    Hearth1.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,889
  • Hearth3.JPG
    Hearth3.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,037
  • Hearth4.JPG
    Hearth4.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 1,922
  • Hearth5.JPG
    Hearth5.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,761
Dunadan said:
Since this is a new topic, I figured I'd start a new thread. Thanks for all the help on figuring out how to handle my Hearth Extension Project. In the end I decide to remove my hearth and build a new one.

Attached is a pic of where things stand now.

Also attached are some pictures of how the fireplace firebox is built up. Looks like a layer of firebrick, then mortar, then concrete.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but since I'm undertaking this redesign, it would be remiss of my not to ask.

Is there a way to lower the floor level of my firebox? The new hearth is going to mainly be flush with the floor, but as it stands now, I'm going to need to build a raised platform for my insert to stick out on (about 15" including blower and damper control). I would love to be able to have the entire hearth flush with the floor, and the insert sitting at floor level, but the only way to do that is to lower the firebox.

Thoughts?
Dun I would lay some brick to bring it up to the fire box and lay some nice
thick slate or some stone on the top.Why would you bend anymore then you would have to.
Nice set up. ;-)

Dunadan I am in the same boat and was about to ask Brother Bart how he did it because that's what it appears he did when he installed his 30 NCL and took out his old insert. I am going to take mine down to near flush with the floor too. I need the space to fit the stove in a small fireplace.

So paging BB to this thread!

Burn-1 said:
Dunadan I am in the same boat and was about to ask Brother Bart how he did it because that's what it appears he did when he installed his 30 NCL and took out his old insert. I am going to take mine down to near flush with the floor too. I need the space to fit the stove in a small fireplace.

So paging BB to this thread!

The 30 sits on the same raised hearth the old insert was on. With the legs the firebox is two inches higher than Old Brownie was. If I had my way I would raise it another three feet. These old knees are real tired of kneeling down to tend wood stoves. When I saw the OP's pics my first thought was that I would leave the pit in front of it so I could sit down on the floor behind it and tend away.

Ah so it was an optical delusion on my part. I would love to do a raised hearth, especially one like Marcia, (Some Like It Hot) built. But for this install I'm constrained by the fireplace. A family friend is a mason so I'll see what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.