Is it supposed to get this hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MC Escher

Jan 26, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have a DutchWest 2461 in my livingroom.

This stove is actually too big for the room, even given that it's a pretty good sized room with cathedral ceilings and two skylights; but I didn't buy it. It came with the house.

Anyway, as I said, it's a 2461 and it has a 6" flue that is straight all the way to it's termination point. No bends.

So I had a Chimney Sweep come in to clean my chimneys this past summer, and he told me the proper way to use the stove, in terms of the catalyst.

I had previously been burning it at around 500 degrees according to the thermometer that sits in the top; and I had never closed the catalyst. Heck, I wasn't sure I even HAD one. I thought that was a damper. Shows how much I knew, right?

Anyway, he said to let it come up to about 500 and then close the catalyst. He also said that it would double in temperature with the cat running. I figured he was exaggerating.

So about a month ago, I did just that. I had like... I don't know... three logs inside it I think?

So I closed the cat and I went about my business elsewhere in the house

I came back in about a half hour and noticed that the room was over 80 degrees! OK, this was just a cool day, being only down to the mid 50's, but still...

So I check out the stove and I notice that the glass is completely clean (which is unusual) and there don't appear to be any flames. Huh?

I get closer and it appears that the flames have completely lifted off of the wood and are dancing around the upper portion of the stove. On the inside of course, but it was still an odd thing to see. When I checked outside there was no smoke, just heat waves coming out of the stack. But when I looked at the thermometer that sits in the center/top of the stove; it was reading almost 1,200 degrees!

Is this thing SUPPOSED to get that hot?

That thermometer in the top is a probe into the cat. The normal operating range for it is 600-1400 degrees. You need to get a stove top thermometer and place it on another part of the top of the stove to read the stove temperature.

The cat was just doing what cats do. Eating smoke and turning it into heat.

Here is the manual for your stove:

http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/2008/7001135_Dutchwest_24601.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.