Is it time to upgrade A/C from R22 to R-410A and go high efficient or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Hearth Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
Hi guys....have been researching this on the net but a lot of what I'm finding is on commercial company web sites and I'm not sure how much of the information is sales hype....so thought I would try here since I've always had such good luck with the knowledge base of the users.

My A/C was installed when I built the house in 2000, it's split zone with a unit in the attic handling the second floor and a larger unit in the basement servicing the first floor and the basement. The compressor and the A coil for the second floor were both replaced in the last 4 years or so.....the compressor for the first floor was replaced about 3 years ago.

Now the A coil for the first floor has a leak in it some place and for the last couple of years we've had to recharge the R22 about twice a summer. My wife's uncle is sort of a jack of all trades and still has his commercial HVAC license even though he is retired and he's been handling everything for us at cost. He's basically telling us that the taxes on R22 are going to be going higher and higher (I guess a 30 lb tank used to be $200, but is higher now, and set to up again next year) and we should start thinking about a new system for the first floor since it looks like we're going to have to replace the A coil in the basement anyway.

I've done a little research on R22a, which from my understanding is propane based and flammable and give what I've read on the net so far I would rather not convert (and can't mix them). ....and R410a systems are the norm now (or so I gather) but operate under pressure and the installs are harder and not as forgiving. ......plus I'm not up on the efficiency rating yet but keep seeing where more efficient unit cost a lot more but reduce operating cost.

Please help with info over load........Anyone have any advice or experience they can share?

I have to get up to speed for this at work. R-410a from what I hace read really requires new line sets due to higher pressures. I'm not sure if the compressor needs to be changed. R-22 is going up in price, but not crazy yet. You can still purchase r-22 units that come dry, and an HVAC contractor can evacuate existing R-22, replace a component and put in R-22.

The leak really needs to be addressed. That unit should not be recharged 2x a year. R-22, needs to be documented when and where it is going and by whom. An HVAC contractor can remove the R-22 and put nitrogen under high pressure in the system to pinpoint the leak. Hopefully it is not in a wall somewhere. If the copper coil has a pinhole leak, it may be repaired by brazing. From what I understand, pinholes can be caused by a contaminated system that was improperly evacuated during installation. If so, more can develop. Even a cheap bottle of bubble up or dish detergent may find a leak at the service ports. Leaks can sometimes be very simple to locate, and once repaired, give little problems.

The new R-22 replacements are still being developed, and from what I understand, there is no magic bullet yet. There are a LOT of R-22 units out there. There has been an extension on the manufacture of R-22 units sold dry. R-410a is slowly working its' way into circulation on new installs and replacements. Many of those systems will have their R-22 reclaimed and put back into circulation.

I would have the leak located and repaired if possible. If it needs a new A coil, probably replace it if the rest of the system still has decent servicable life left. Again, still learning this myself, an I get tidbits as more information comes in. Good luck and let us know how you do. Hopefully, someone will chime in here with a bit more experience.

I'm looking at doing the same thing for my parent's in-law. The r22 condenser is about 10 seer and the air handler + ducts feed through a cathedral ceiling. I want to cut out the old unit and abandon/cover the ducts. Then I wan to run some ductless heat pump units into the bedroom and main room. I figure it will be much more efficient cooling, and also give me a 2nd form of heat in case oil shoot the moon. I'd also love to close up those ducts because I'm sure there 1/2 the reason I lose so much heat in that apartment during the Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.