Is my Harman P68 exhaust fan dying?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NotSure

Aug 20, 2017
NH
Hey there hoping you all can help me diagnose a noise coming from my Harman P68. I had all the body sheet metal pieces off today trying to figure out where the noise is coming from and pinpointed it to the exhaust fan. When I manually spin the blades behind the ash pan I get a bad screeching/rubbing noise about every full turn. Is there anything I can do to service this part or am I looking at a full replacement? If you could provide any links to what I need to purchase as a replacement that would be super helpful.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Try some 3 in 1 oil on the bearings and a good cleaning.

Pull the blower out and check that the blades are not bent and making contact with the housing.

Your exhaust motor probably has a bad bearing....I have a 2013 P61A and had the motor replaced two years ago for the same reason. Unfortunately I believe the newer models have sealed bearings and so you can't just replace it and will need the entire motor replaced as well as possibly the shaft and actual fan behind your ash pan. My dealer came to my house and replaced the motor, shaft, and fan blade. Including labor and it was around $250 bucks....

That said, if you're very handy and can find one, I suspect you can buy a motor that will fit your stove that may also have unsealed bearings for future replacement without buying the Harman brand motor. Other more handy folks on this site can certainly provide more info. on this option.

It seems like my stove has 2 fans/motors stacked onto eachother on the back left of the stove. The replacement part I am seeing juat looks like one motor. Am I mistaken? Maybe I am remembering incorrectly and need to get a picture of mine tonight

Ah so its a double cooling fan like this one
ADFAB1B1-0A94-4582-AE51-D15467D93878.jpeg

Reactions: NotSure
Depends on the age of the stove,the old ones look like this- the replacement looks like -https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/harman-combustion-blower-motor-oem-3-21-08639-p/3-21-08639.htm Also,order a new impeller,many times you have to damage it to remove it.

Bingo - great video thank you. Mine is the same as this video and the sound is the exact same as well. So even if I have this older style I replace with tbe smaller item you linked? My stove is a 2005. Appreciate the input

The newer replacement ones are smaller,do not have the cooling fan on the back.You can replace the bearings in the old one,then keep it for next time.

The newer replacement ones are smaller,do not have the cooling fan on the back.You can replace the bearings in the old one,then keep it for next time.
My exhaust fan is screeching intermittently as well. I have the front/back fan as original but the replacement I got is front only. Should I try to salvage the rear fan to re-use it with the newer version? Also, I see the grounding wire screws to the housing for the rear fan now but that would obviously not be possible with the new fan. Also, the grounding connector is different - old one is the ring and new one is the push-in type.

I haven't pulled it apart yet; considering putting it off once more and go with a toothbrush cleaning and 3-in 1 bath for now. Just wondering if what I am seeing means someone qualified should be doing this.

First check for carbon build up behind the blower fan that can make them screech. Don't worry about the fan blade by the motor the new replacement part has deleted it because it never really did much anyway. As for the ground cut off the spade connector and crimp on a ring type. Most likely the combustion fan will be frozen on the motor shaft and will need to be cut off. Replacing the blower and fan blade isn't complicated but may take a few tools that not everybody owns.

Reactions: Washed-Up