Is my Harman P68 exhaust fan dying?

NotSure

Aug 20, 2017
NH
Hey there hoping you all can help me diagnose a noise coming from my Harman P68. I had all the body sheet metal pieces off today trying to figure out where the noise is coming from and pinpointed it to the exhaust fan. When I manually spin the blades behind the ash pan I get a bad screeching/rubbing noise about every full turn. Is there anything I can do to service this part or am I looking at a full replacement? If you could provide any links to what I need to purchase as a replacement that would be super helpful.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

greg13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2012
CNY
Try some 3 in 1 oil on the bearings and a good cleaning.

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
Lorraine NY
Pull the blower out and check that the blades are not bent and making contact with the housing.

P51mustang

Jan 7, 2014
Upstate, NY
Your exhaust motor probably has a bad bearing....I have a 2013 P61A and had the motor replaced two years ago for the same reason. Unfortunately I believe the newer models have sealed bearings and so you can't just replace it and will need the entire motor replaced as well as possibly the shaft and actual fan behind your ash pan. My dealer came to my house and replaced the motor, shaft, and fan blade. Including labor and it was around $250 bucks....

That said, if you're very handy and can find one, I suspect you can buy a motor that will fit your stove that may also have unsealed bearings for future replacement without buying the Harman brand motor. Other more handy folks on this site can certainly provide more info. on this option.

NotSure

Aug 20, 2017
NH
It seems like my stove has 2 fans/motors stacked onto eachother on the back left of the stove. The replacement part I am seeing juat looks like one motor. Am I mistaken? Maybe I am remembering incorrectly and need to get a picture of mine tonight

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
Lorraine NY
Ah so its a double cooling fan like this one
ADFAB1B1-0A94-4582-AE51-D15467D93878.jpeg

Reactions: NotSure

NotSure

Aug 20, 2017
NH
Depends on the age of the stove,the old ones look like this- the replacement looks like -https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/harman-combustion-blower-motor-oem-3-21-08639-p/3-21-08639.htm Also,order a new impeller,many times you have to damage it to remove it.
Bingo - great video thank you. Mine is the same as this video and the sound is the exact same as well. So even if I have this older style I replace with tbe smaller item you linked? My stove is a 2005. Appreciate the input

bob bare

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
park county montana
The newer replacement ones are smaller,do not have the cooling fan on the back.You can replace the bearings in the old one,then keep it for next time.