Is my stove rated, safe & efficient?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marti

Dec 27, 2018
California
F90A9F53-7980-4F1F-BB09-583F1214E3F9.jpeg 98E5C2D1-B451-4EFB-8C8B-E016C2933D41.jpeg E7EC2B3E-4A74-418C-A0FC-D870406BD2F1.jpeg I have a Montgomery Wards Fireplace Stove that came with our house. It was installed approximately 1982. After reading posts on your site, I’m concerned about the safety. We rarely used it until recently when my husband passed away. Now I need to use it instead of the installed HVAC (broken thermostat).
I squeezed my cell phone between the brick wall and the back of the unit and was able to take a picture of the metal label on the back.
The door doesn’t hang well but still closes if you slam it. There doesn’t seem to be a problem with drafting.
We have a program through our Calaveras County Air. Environmental Air Resources to replace stoves that are not EPA certified. So I’m addition of some safety and installation concerns, I need to know if it is an EPA certified stove!

Thank you so much!
Marti

View attachment 236770 View attachment 236771 View attachment 236772 I have a Montgomery Wards Fireplace Stove that came with our house. It was installed approximately 1982. After reading posts on your site, I’m concerned about the safety. We rarely used it until recently when my husband passed away. Now I need to use it instead of the installed HVAC (broken thermostat).
I squeezed my cell phone between the brick wall and the back of the unit and was able to take a picture of the metal label on the back.
The door doesn’t hang well but still closes if you slam it. There doesn’t seem to be a problem with drafting.
We have a program through our Calaveras County Air. Environmental Air Resources to replace stoves that are not EPA certified. So I’m addition of some safety and installation concerns, I need to know if it is an EPA certified stove!

Thank you so much!
Marti
It is not epa certified.

It is not efficent.

And it is not installed safely.