Is that all???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Dropped and split a medium pignut hickory today. The whole time I'm thinking this extra wood should put me over my estimates for next year. Once done the pile looks pretty small for all the effort! Looks like the scrounge is "still on!"

Attachments

• hickory.jpg
    hickory.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 745
I did the same thing with a medium size shagbark hickory behind my house last month. It does always seem to look like more wood when it is vertical than when it's been processed. Keep the scrounging up!

Yo! Wahoo! Are my eyes out of calibration or did you cut that stuff way too long for that F3?

It is cut the length of my 18" chainsaw bar...now you got me paranoid. Time for a little test.

Whew...it is all 17" to 18". The 18" ones can be tight if there are other splits in the back of the stove. I cut them 'long' to get max fuel in there next year (this year I'm burning lots of 14-16 and irregulars). I probably should cut a mix of 16-18 next time I'm processing a whole tree to have some splits for the back and some that will fit in if I'm loading her up.

Glad they fit. From the prospective in the pic they looked twenty or longer on some of them. I have a heck of a time getting 18" into my F3. I just blew it off and cut to 16".

Well, like I said, my wood to date for this season came mostly from trees already bucked to odd lengths. Most of it has been well short. Just now I reloaded with some oak and hickory cut a hair under 18 and it was a little difficult getting it in after the first split or two were in place.

I'm doing an experiment this season where I have weighed a couple fresh splits of oak and hickory. Then I am reweighing them once a month and noting the weight loss. I wish I had recorded the length as I know you get some shrinkage in the wood as it dries. Anybody know how much an 18" split might shrink in a year? I'm guessing maybe a 1/4 or 1/2 inch?

Where did the limb wood go?

Some of the limbs are at the bottom of the pile, 4"and less were unsplit. I left the rest as they were quite twisted. It did not have a lot of branches now that I think about it.

Took the 7 year old and the 16 year old(cheerleader) to get 2 loads of wood today. had to split the rounds to get them into the truck. White oak. Crotches and knots. what a workout. me swinging the 8 lb and daughter swinging the 6 lb splitting axe. my shoulder hurts.

If I had been a wood burner when I was younger man I probably would have had kids.

I can relate to that. I have had to climb some Hickories that were 50-60" to the first limb or higher.

You too Dylan be safe

Wow, that's quite an ax although I think you might get spoiled from having the predominantly softer trees of the northern latitudes being much easier to split, especially if frozen.

Out of curiousity do you heat with a wood stove or do you have a masonry heater like those made by Tulikivi?

FINLAND said:
Look at some piles on my homepages. They are all done with VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE.
However clever your axe may be, the barrage of promotion you're suddenly doing is unwelcome and out of character with what these forums are about.

Burn-1
The most common way to heat is Tulikivi type of fireplace. It is very economic because its stony structure reserves all the heat and gives it back slowly during the next 24-36 hours.
The trees I am talking about are really the trees what are growing in finland. With these trees VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE is superior comparing to the traditional ones.
Thank you for your interest.
Heikki

precaud
I am sorry. It is not meaning to offend anybodys rights. I am just trying to spred the information about this new invention. "Jotul" is widely used here,as well.
Heikki

Status
Not open for further replies.