Is the US stove (US1269E) a good stove? And jotul vs morso...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MacMac

Jan 6, 2022
Ive been looking at cast iron wood stoves for my tiny cabin. Theres soooooooo many options, but I've never even thought about wood stoves or had any opinions on them other than I love having an indoor fire. Ive always rented, and now I'm finally building my own place from scratch! Its only a little 12' x 16' cabin with a 14' ceiling for now, well insulated. Eventually it'll be at least twice as big, and the wood stove will be my main, if not only, heat source. So all that to say, I don't need a big stove, but I do want something that has relatively long burn time/heat retention.

I've narrowed it down to the Morso 2b standard and the Jotul 602 V2. Both are pretty expensive, $1200-$1400, and hard to find right now. I've called a few dealers who have like one left.
Though I keep seeing the US1269E for like $299, and its cast iron, no window, and a little more basic than the Morso and Jotul, but my question is, is that worth it? Am i paying $1300 for the name brand of Jotul or Morso, when the cheaper US Stove brand is mostly as good? Is it really just cheaper cause there's no window and its not a fancy name brand?
I don't want to buy the cheap stove and regret it, but I also don't want to break my budget if the more expensive stoves aren't really that much better....

Thanks for helping me out!

No, it is not a good stove. The casting quality is poor and there is no user control. Look for a good deal on a Century, Drolet or Pleasant Hearth stove.

Reactions: wjohn and MacMac
This stove is oversized and will want at least a 15' flue system, but it would work if expansion is intended and you don't mind burning smaller fires for now. If the cabin is cold (say 40º) then the extra capacity will be appreciated.

Reactions: MacMac
I’ve never been a fan of most of those budget stoves. The Morso and Jotul are well built high quality stoves and are worth the extra money IMO. Both have similar sized fire boxes but the Morso is a bit longer so you can fit longer splits than the Jotul, 18” verses 15”. I have the 602 and it heated my 800sq ft cabin well but had to feed it often so I upgraded to the Jotul F45 and the 602 will be going in my guest cabin or shop.

Ive been looking at cast iron wood stoves for my tiny cabin. Theres soooooooo many options, but I've never even thought about wood stoves or had any opinions on them other than I love having an indoor fire. Ive always rented, and now I'm finally building my own place from scratch! Its only a little 12' x 16' cabin with a 14' ceiling for now, well insulated. Eventually it'll be at least twice as big, and the wood stove will be my main, if not only, heat source. So all that to say, I don't need a big stove, but I do want something that has relatively long burn time/heat retention.

I've narrowed it down to the Morso 2b standard and the Jotul 602 V2. Both are pretty expensive, $1200-$1400, and hard to find right now. I've called a few dealers who have like one left.
Though I keep seeing the US1269E for like $299, and its cast iron, no window, and a little more basic than the Morso and Jotul, but my question is, is that worth it? Am i paying $1300 for the name brand of Jotul or Morso, when the cheaper US Stove brand is mostly as good? Is it really just cheaper cause there's no window and its not a fancy name brand?
I don't want to buy the cheap stove and regret it, but I also don't want to break my budget if the more expensive stoves aren't really that much better....

Thanks for helping me out!
Ever here of the term '' You get what you pay for ''. That should guide you well especially that you plan on eventually doubling the size of your cabin and the stove will most likely be your only heat source.

Reactions: MacMac
Go with with Jotul, much easier and cheaper to get parts for. Morso 2b is a great stove as well, I do like the bricks also, they stand up better than the burn plates in the 602. Well I guess both have the pros ha

Reactions: MacMac and bholler