Is there a DV fireplace brand you love that is often overlooked?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MattCO

Sep 15, 2022
Pine, CO
The number of options out there is overwhelming. I've visited 4 stores in town and haven't landed on anything yet. I feel further from a decision than when I started looking online. Each shop has their agenda and limited display options (one configuration for each model) and I'm having trouble deciding on what's best for us. For instance, one shop wouldn't show my their Regency units because "they are a pain to assemble" and were pushing me towards the Marquis Bentley. I liked the look of it but seemed a little basic, 1 burner, etc.

I am drawn to subtle traditional fireplaces. I'm not a big fan of things like under lit glass rocks meant to look like embers. High efficiency isn't the main concern, my house heat is going to be more efficient than any DV zero clearance fireplace but I do want that great radiant warmth from it.

Obviously, the Mendota FV41/FV42 and Heat & Glow True 42 seem like great options at ~$9000 for the unit once you have a door and controller. I'll spend it if that's what it takes to get a good flame and realistic logs but are there brands/models that you think don't get the credit they deserve? What would you put in your house?

I feel like the ~40-42in models will fit my space well, either the square or moderately horizontal models.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

The number of options out there is overwhelming. I've visited 4 stores in town and haven't landed on anything yet. I feel further from a decision than when I started looking online. Each shop has their agenda and limited display options (one configuration for each model) and I'm having trouble deciding on what's best for us. For instance, one shop wouldn't show my their Regency units because "they are a pain to assemble" and were pushing me towards the Marquis Bentley. I liked the look of it but seemed a little basic, 1 burner, etc.

I am drawn to subtle traditional fireplaces. I'm not a big fan of things like under lit glass rocks meant to look like embers. High efficiency isn't the main concern, my house heat is going to be more efficient than any DV zero clearance fireplace but I do want that great radiant warmth from it.

Obviously, the Mendota FV41/FV42 and Heat & Glow True 42 seem like great options at ~$9000 for the unit once you have a door and controller. I'll spend it if that's what it takes to get a good flame and realistic logs but are there brands/models that you think don't get the credit they deserve? What would you put in your house?

I feel like the ~40-42in models will fit my space well, either the square or moderately horizontal models.

The True42 is a good choice. HeatnGlo 8000CLX has a similar viewing area, but requires less framing space. It has the same upgraded refractory and logs as the Tue42. I am not familiar with any other brands. Good luck!

Hey MattCO - did you end up making a decision on a new direct vent fireplace? I am currently trying to make the same decision for a new construction house and am struggling with all the choices and lack of reviews / comparisons between brands. I liked the Mendota FV42 and Heat & Glow True 42 and am also comparing the Napoleon Elevation X 42 - but really have no idea how to compare brands, etc.

Travis Industries makes great products. A lot of their stuff is very similar to Mendota. I love Heat N Glo and always have but the craftsmanship and quality is night and day when compared to Travis. The stuff that service techs see and homeowners don't is what makes me like Travis.