Is there a preferred thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pnnf

Oct 29, 2021
The stove is in, finally. Im wanting get 1 or 2 burns in it to get it seasoned. From what Im reading its better to do it when you can open some windows because of the fumes that it may or may not put off. I also want to be able to get to learn the stove before real cold weather hits. Ive also been reading that I should have a way to tell how hot my stove is running. Is it sufficient to just have one on the side of the stove (US2000 on pedestal) or do I also need one on the stove pipe? I have DVL so will a thermometer on the pipe even have an accurate reading? Also, what kind/brand of thermometer do you recommend, will a basic one from a box store/amazon be ok? Thanks for the advice. Ill have pics up on my other thread soon :)

You will need a probe thermometer for the DVL. Condar is a good one. Even better would be a digital probe like one from Auber.

The stove is in, finally. Im wanting get 1 or 2 burns in it to get it seasoned. From what Im reading its better to do it when you can open some windows because of the fumes that it may or may not put off. I also want to be able to get to learn the stove before real cold weather hits. Ive also been reading that I should have a way to tell how hot my stove is running. Is it sufficient to just have one on the side of the stove (US2000 on pedestal) or do I also need one on the stove pipe? I have DVL so will a thermometer on the pipe even have an accurate reading? Also, what kind/brand of thermometer do you recommend, will a basic one from a box store/amazon be ok? Thanks for the advice. Ill have pics up on my other thread soon :)
You need a probe thermometer for in the pipe

Reactions: pnnf
Ok, thank you. Im not wanting to drill into the pipe just yet. If I have only 1 on the side of the stove to monitor will that be sufficient? I keep reading that 400-500 is an optimal burn range for stoves. Will this range keep the pipe temps in check? I was looking at something like a "GALAFIRE" that I found on Amazon.Well in my search Im finding top and side thermometers. Im assuming if it doesnt say top it is for the side and Im also assuming the temps are hotter on the top. Is the 400-500 range for the side or top?
galafire.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using the same Condar FlueGard probe thermometer for at least the last 25 years in my double wall stove pipe, IMHO it is the best mechanical flue probe thermometer out there. So easy to read from 20 feet away and great indicator of any potential problem or danger. Probe thermometers are so much more accurate for double wall stove pipes versus a standard stove top thermometer which will not give you true temps inside you stove pipe and if anything dangerous is going on inside.
Only thing better would be electronic/digital unit.
Condar Flue Gard.jpg

Last edited:
What do you mean side mount, or top mount? A probe thermometer is the proper instrument. Git er done.

Ok, thank you. Im not wanting to drill into the pipe just yet. If I have only 1 on the side of the stove to monitor will that be sufficient? I keep reading that 400-500 is an optimal burn range for stoves. Will this range keep the pipe temps in check? I was looking at something like a "GALAFIRE" that I found on Amazon.Well in my search Im finding top and side thermometers. Im assuming if it doesnt say top it is for the side and Im also assuming the temps are hotter on the top. Is the 400-500 range for the side or top?
View attachment 287869

Drill into the stove pipe, that's the most accurate way to measure flue temps.

Personally I don't use a stove top thermometer, I have a cheap infared thermometer to check surface temps, but I really don't check them that often, the flue probe tells me everything I need to know.

What do you mean side mount, or top mount? A probe thermometer is the proper instrument. Git er done.
All i was seeing was the magnetic thermometers that attach to the side or top of the stove. Some were specific in stating that it was for the top. Which had me wondering about the temps in either location. But, if its sinking in, i guessing the stove temp doesnt matter. its the flue gas that matters IE get the probe :)

I have been using the same Condar FlueGard probe thermometer for at least the last 25 years in my double wall stove pipe, IMHO it is the best mechanical flue probe thermometer out there. So easy to read from 20 feet away and great indicator of any potential problem or danger. Probe thermometers are so much more accurate for double wall stove pipes versus a standard stove top thermometer which will not give you true temps inside you stove pipe and if anything dangerous is going on inside.
Only thing better would be electronic/digital unit.
View attachment 287871
A Condar FlueGard probe thermometer it is. Thanks very much!

Yes. Typically a stove thermometer is placed on the stove top. The sides are less meaningful and rarely used. On stove with side shield that would be worthless. Some inserts must be measured off the front face. But really, the flue gas temp is what is important.