Is this a termite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a solfugid. I haven't heard them called camel spiders before, but the few I've seen in the wild have been here in California Sierras, where we get snow annually. They come out at night and run pretty quick. I've only ever seen three of them.

I'm asking because my Dad and I have never seen anything like this. It was walking across the workbench in his garage.

A little backstory. My sister brought me a pickup load of old cedar and pine posts from her ranch. She also had a few things to take to our Dad's. Could this little bugger have survived in -25F temps? Also, any advice on how to look for a nest would be greatly appreciated.

P2050004.jpg
I'm asking because my Dad and I have never seen anything like this. It was walking across the workbench in his garage.

A little backstory. My sister brought me a pickup load of old cedar and pine posts from her ranch. She also had a few things to take to our Dad's. Could this little bugger have survived in -25F temps? Also, any advice on how to look for a nest would be greatly appreciated.

P2050004.jpg
image.jpg
Hi, I found 3 of these in my home in northern Ca. I thought it was a termite but it had 8 legs.. Do I asked Clark's pest control and he told me it was a potatoe bug.. I knew it wasn't.. So happy I found the answer to this ugly mystery bug

Last edited by a moderator:
Camel spider, also known as sun spider, usually are found in arid climates but have been found in other areas in the US...
The places where you are most likely to encounter a solifugae/Camel spider is: California, Texas, Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Texas, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Nevada, Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota.
https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120909154656AAxBMwa

Apparently non venomous but bites are pretty nasty with primary concern of infection. They are beneficial in that they do eat other pests...

Camel spider, also known as sun spider, usually are found in arid climates but have been found in other areas in the US...
The places where you are most likely to encounter a solifugae/Camel spider is: California, Texas, Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Texas, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Nevada, Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota.
https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120909154656AAxBMwa

Apparently non venomous but bites are pretty nasty with primary concern of infection. They are beneficial in that they do eat other pests...

They are also beneficial in that they do not live anywhere near Connecticut.

I hope that's zoomed up. That thing is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.