Is this an optimal burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
30NC, air shut OFF after a very hot burn

Glass is clear, no smoke or flame coming off the wood - just blue flames out of the tubes at top.
The wood is charred black but you cant see it burning ?

Is this optimal ?

Attachments

• 2dary.jpg
    2dary.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 373
Looks pretty darn good. What wood species are you burning there and what are your stovetop temps? How long after reloading is that? My glass doesn't stay that clean.

johnstra said:
Looks pretty darn good. What wood species are you burning there and what are your stovetop temps? How long after reloading is that? My glass doesn't stay that clean.

Locust, deck lid is 500-600 and its about 5 mins after sticking a couple splits onto a real hot coal bed and letting it run wide open before backing it down

Ive recently discovered that I use wood more efficiently by not filling it so full and burning a couple splits at a time like this.

It just doesn't put out out the wave of heat that I like to push out

I notice your baffle boards are tight together ,mine separate a quarter to a half inch when hot,im wondering if mine are too small an thus too loose.
An NC- 30 operator had this problem and called englander who sent him new boards.

Mine do it too
im always reachin in an closing the gap

Im also gonna call Englander tomorrow and ask two new ones !!!!

trump said:
I notice your baffle boards are tight together ,mine separate a quarter to a half inch when hot,im wondering if mine are too small an thus too loose.
An NC- 30 operator had this problem and called englander who sent him new boards.

If you read the recent NC-30 mods thread, you'll see a couple of improvised solutions for this. One is to use kaowool to fill any gaps. The other is to thread a metal rod through 1/4" rope gasket and use that one one side to keep the two sheets tight together.

opps..wrong thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.